The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in selected sectors in four focus countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
In each country priority sectors and institutions have been identified, in close coordination with responsible ministries and the Netherlands embassies. Assignments are for a short periods of up to 3 months and the project offers an allowance to cover costs.
Background Information about Host Institution:
The Ministry of Interior and Local Government is one of key Ministries of Somaliland and entrusted with playing an important role in improving the quality and standards of life of urban and rural communities in Somaliland. Responsibilities include;
- Country security;
- Good governance and decentralization reforms;
- National security supervision of Local governments;
- Conduct of elections;
- Public Administration; and
- Immigration matters.
The Ministry is authorized to deal with all issues that concern immigration, asylum seekers and refugees and to take corrective actions to deal with emergency issues that can threaten the lives of Somaliland people and their security, such as armed conflicts. The Somaliland Ministry of Interior and Local Government has a major role in achieving tangible outcomes in politics, security & administration development at regional, district and communal levels.
In addition, it is the government institution mandated to take the lead for coordinating and ensuring equitable and fair access to external aid aimed at improving the livelihood of the Somaliland people. It also has regulatory and oversight roles as well as giving guidance and technical advice to local and international partners/counterparts.
- Office of the Minister
- Office of the DG
- Head of the Department of Planning
Duration of assignment: max 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The consultant will come on board as a Planning Advisor, assisting with the completion and enactment of the Ministry’s strategic plan and Annual Operating Plans (AOP). Equally, under the overall guidance of the Minister, the consultant will assist the Ministry in developing its working efficiency through the implementation of a proper planning and procedures. In that light, the consultant will be tasked with reviewing the current planning stages of the Ministry departments and Regions and look to provide reform/guidance on areas to improve the planning process by making it inclusive. In case s where there is no plan at all, the the consultant will have to work with the Ministry and regions to develop:
- The Ministry National Strategic Plan for 2021 to 2025;
- Break down the Strategic plan into an Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
• Capacity Building Strategy for staff in Planning Department ,MOI, Regions and Districts
• Elaborated quarterly capacity building Plan for the MoI
• Facilitate the MOI, Regions and District Planning Department Staff to closely work with IOM/ Sector ministries to produce annual Statistical abstract.
• Support the MOI, Regions and District development planning staffs to produce in an Annual outcome report
• Support DP Staffs to contribute required information to Development Assistance Database system;
• Support the MOI, Regions and District Staffs to establish Resource Centre to house all information and data, and produce monthly, quarterly and annual reports
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Main tasks include:
- Act as focal point for all Department of Planning (DP) related capacity development activities and assess MOI, Regions and district training needs and support development of training plans.
- Design M&E system for training activities, TOTs and other trainings provided and record activities and support design/implementation of planning processes and procedures and provide feedback to MOI/IOM on progress and suggestions for changes as required
- Training and transfer information and skills on planning processes and procedures to district councillors, staff and other relevant actors
- Support establishment/development of the Ministry of Interior, Regions and district’s Department of Planning:
- Develop relevant training modules, and national best practice and support identification of data needs and establishment of data collection and management systems.
- Develop quarterly and annual work plans including performance indicators
- Ability to work independently and to maintain flexibility in working hours
- Energetic and flexible with high sense of responsibility and excellent organizational, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multiethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts
- Willingness and capable of extensive training to the MOI, Regions and districts
- Understands advanced aspects of the area of specialisation as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as primary external consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Keeps abreast of developments related to the program and the Ministry’s line of work
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilises these during the assignment
- Demonstrates in depth knowledge of communication practices and utilises this to raise the profile of the Ministry
- Effectively networks with relevant partners ensuring that strategic partnerships and alliances are built in relation to the Ministry’s key undertakings
- Contributes to the implementation of and understands key advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritising audiences and communications means
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and Management, Public Administration or other related social science discipline.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience at a national or international level with project management, Strategic planning formulation and communications.
- Experience of working as an Advisor in the public sector with a proven track record in building relations with international organisations, government institutions etc.
- Extensive experience in advocacy, communications and network building.
- English: Second Lang. (Excellent)
- Somali: Mother tongue (Excellent)
- Arabic (Excellent)
- Others (Desired)
If you are interested in this assignment please apply here.