Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is committed to ensuring all citizens reach their full potential in health, contributing to peace, stability and sustainable development in Afghanistan. The core values of the Ministry of Public Health include equity, integrity, right to health, accountability and trust.
The Ministry of Public Health is also willing to reform tertiary hospital care. Considering the significant skilled human resources gap in the health sector, mainly high skilled medical professionals, and presence of a substantial number of highly educated medical diaspora living abroad, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) recognizes the key role that Afghan health professionals abroad play in strengthening the health system and the provision of health services to our nation. However, this huge potential remains largely untapped. To successfully harness this potential, the MoPH is committed to facilitate an environment to involve Afghan health professionals abroad in health system strengthening, healthcare delivery and the research field to improve availability and enhance the quality of healthcare provision in Afghanistan. Specifically, this initiative aims to utilize the Afghan diaspora skills and knowledge to creatively overcome the medical human resource gaps especially in tertiary care level by building on existing good practice, using established and effective networks and relationships where possible, and ensuring longer term sustainability through policy engagement.
Organizational unit/ Department: Wazir Akbar Khan Hospital (GDCM, MOPH)
Duration of assignment: 2-3 Months
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is clinical assistance to improve capacity of clinical staff at Orthopaedic department of Wazir Akbar Khan Hospital to provide quality and up to date healthcare services.
- Treatment Protocols for Orthopaedic related Problems
- SOPs on the In-Patient care including ICU, wards, nursing care, shifting of patients and Out-Patients
- On the job training of Orthopaedic department of Wazir Akbar Khan hospital clinical staff
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Providing on the job training to the clinical staff on evaluation of patients through questions, examinations, symptom review, and medical testing
- Providing on the job training to the clinical staff in performing different procedures such as External Fixation, Internal Fixation, Joint Replacement, Fluoroscopic surgery and other latest techniques
- Assisting hospital medical team in analysis of patient test reports
- Providing technical assistance to the clinical staff to develop treatment plans for medications and surgeries
- Providing technical assistance to the clinical staff about consulting other medical teams on required procedures for patient
- Conducting academic sessions and workshop for hospital medical team
- Developing SOPs and treatment protocols for Orthopaedic related problems
- Providing technical assistance to hospital clinical team on patients follow up and how to educate the patient and patients’ family of patient progress, treatment, and future goals
- Providing technical assistance to hospital clinical team how to conduct clinical research about Orthopaedic related problems
- Strong desire to help people and improve their daily lives
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Exhibits patience and understanding
- Great interpersonal relations and communications skills
- Experience and Skills in effective teaching skills is advantage
- Have good skill of report writing and computer.
- Excellent team management and communication skills.
- Proficiency with a computer and healthcare applications
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree and Post Graduate degree in Orthopaedic surgery
- Certification by The Medical Council of residing country
- Having at least 5 years post-graduate clinical work experience
- Participation in further medical education and/or professional organization memberships are preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages.