Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is committed to ensuring all citizens reach their full potential in health, contributing to peace, stability and sustainable development in Afghanistan. The core values of the Ministry of Public Health include equity, integrity, right to health, accountability and trust.
The Ministry of Public Health is also willing to reform tertiary hospital care. Considering the significant skilled human resources gap in the health sector, mainly high skilled medical professionals, and presence of a substantial number of highly educated medical diaspora living abroad, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) recognizes the key role that Afghan health professionals abroad play in strengthening the health system and the provision of health services to our nation. However, this huge potential remains largely untapped. To successfully harness this potential, the MoPH is committed to facilitate an environment to involve Afghan health professionals abroad in health system strengthening, healthcare delivery and the research field to improve availability and enhance the quality of healthcare provision in Afghanistan. Specifically, this initiative aims to utilize the Afghan diaspora skills and knowledge to creatively overcome the medical human resource gaps especially in tertiary care level by building on existing good practice, using established and effective networks and relationships where possible, and ensuring longer term sustainability through policy engagement.
Organizational Unit/Department: Central Public Health Laboratory (CPHL) (GDCM, MOPH)
Duration of assignment: 2-3 Months
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is technical assistance to improve capacity of staff at Microbiology department of Central Public Lab to provide quality and up to date diagnostic services to people.
- Protocols for Microbiology related diagnostic issues
- SOPs on the sample and specimen taking
- On the job training of Microbiology department of Central Public health Lab clinical staff
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Providing on the job training to the Microbiology department Technical Staff in sample and specimen taking
- Assisting Microbiology department technical staff in analysis of patient test results and reporting
- Conducting academic sessions and workshop for Microbiology department of Central Public Health Lab staff on microbiology related latest technology and topics
- Developing SOPs and protocols for sample collection and specimen taking
- Developing Quality Control and Quality assurance system in Microbiology department
- Conducting Session on research methodologies and researches about microbiology related issues
- Providing support and work with microbiology department on getting certification of national and international standard organizations
- Strong desire to help people and improve their daily lives
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Exhibits patience and understanding
- Great interpersonal relations and communications skills
- Experience and Skills in effective teaching skills is advantage
- Have good skill of report writing and computer.
- Excellent team management and communication skills.
- Proficiency with a computer and healthcare applications
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Microbiology or any Post Graduate degree in Microbiology
- Having at least 5 years post-graduate Microbiology Lab work experience
- Participation in further medical education and/or professional organization memberships are preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages.