Name of Host Institution: Jamhoryat Hospital (GDCM, MoPH)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is committed to ensuring all citizens reach their full potential in terms of health, contributing to peace, stability and sustainable development in Afghanistan. The core values of the Ministry of Public Health include equity, integrity, right to health, accountability and trust.
The Ministry of Public Health is also willing to reform tertiary hospital care. Considering the significant skilled human resources gap in the health sector, particularly a scarcity of highly skilled medical professionals, and presence of a substantial number of highly educated medical diaspora living abroad, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) recognizes the key role that Afghan health professionals abroad play in strengthening the health system and the provision of health services to our nation. However, this huge potential remains largely untapped. To successfully harness this potential, the MoPH is committed to facilitate an environment in which to involve Afghan health professionals abroad in health system strengthening, healthcare delivery and the research field to improve availability and enhance the quality of healthcare provision in Afghanistan. Specifically, this initiative aims to utilize the Afghan diaspora skills and knowledge to creatively overcome the medical human resource gaps especially in tertiary care level by building on existing good practice, using established and effective networks and relationships where possible, and ensuring longer term sustainability through policy engagement.
Organizational unit/Department: Oncology Unit of Jamhoriat Hospital (GDCM, MOPH)
Duration of assignment: 2-3 Months
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is clinical assistance is to improve quality of services in the tertiary and specialty hospitals and enabling the clinical staff to provide quality and up to date healthcare services.
- Nursing care protocols and guideline for cancer patients
- SOPs for Nursing care of cancer patients in ICU, Ward and Outpatients
- On the job training of Oncology department of Jamhoriat hospital nursing staff on palliative therapy, day care and nursing care
- Contribute in morning reports and rounds with nursing staff in the ward
- Guiding ward nurses on information provision, education and referral of patients
- On the job training to nursing staff on counselling skills in assisting patient and family with coping mechanisms
- On the job training of ward nurses on providing required nursing care to cancer patient
- Providing technical assistance to the nursing staff of the oncology department how to develops a collaborative partnership with the patient and their family that is respectful of their needs, wishes, knowledge, experience, values and beliefs
- Conduct academic sessions for ward nursing staff on related topics
- Develop SOPs for nursing care at oncology ward
- Strong desire to help people and improve their daily lives
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Exhibits patience and understanding
- Great interpersonal relations and communications skills
- Experience and Skills in effective teaching skills is advantage
- Have good report writing and computer skillls.
- Excellent team management and communication skills.
- Proficiency with a computer and healthcare applications
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- BSc Nursing or Post Graduate degree in Nursing
- Registration as professional Nurse with The Nursing Council of residing country
- Having at least 5 years post-graduate nursing experience in Oncology
- Participation in further medical education and/or professional organization memberships are preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages.