Name of host institution: The Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority
Background Information about Host Institution
In early 2020, the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Authority was officially endorsed by the Afghan Parliament as an independent entity. TVET is currently being provided by both public as well as private institutions. The majority of the formal public TVET service providers are under the authority of the TVET Authority; however, there are several public TVET institutions which are under the authority of other government ministries. Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) is a priority of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The TVET Authority has made efforts to bring reforms to TVET delivery that could result in greater provision of skilled human capital vital for the economic development.
The TVET Authority is actively seeking to build domain specific partnerships with regional and international partners whereby a specific sector would be supported by a particular partner. This engagement would result in providing better quality TVET education and strengthening coordinated partnership.
Organizational unit/ Department: Labor Market Analysis Department
Duration of assignment: The duration of assignment is 3 months. The exact date will be identified later upon mutual agreement.
Objectives of Assignment
The ideal candidate will possess strong analytical and technical expertise to build analytic solutions to drive:
- TVET teacher’s capacity and development central to student’s success and productivity,
- Student’s capacity to become entrepreneurs, agripreneurs, and productive and skilled labor force.
- Comprehensive TVET Skills Policy, Strategy and Implementation Plan focused on national labour economics
- Individual capacity transfer plan
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Compile, analyze, and report data to explain economic phenomena and forecast market trends, applying mathematical models and statistical techniques.
• Conduct research on economic issues and disseminate research findings through technical reports and or scientific articles in journals.
• Formulate recommendations, policies, or plans to solve economic problems or to interpret markets.
• Provide advice and consultation on economic relationships to skills, public and private agencies, and other employers.
• Provide feedback to the draft TVET Authority regulation and suggest improvements essential for economic development and prosperity.
- Team player
- Task oriented
- Be a subject matter expert i.e. proven track record in labour economics and skills development
Education and Experience
- Ph.D. degree in economics, public policy, or related social science field with expertise in TVET
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in contexts of emergencies
- Knowledge or experience with the construction and analysis of large-scale datasets and the design of experiments and quasi-experiments
- Strong analytical experience driving quantifiable returns on TVET investment
- Ability to turn complex problems into simple solutions
- Ability to apply advanced statistical methods, and able to communicate effectively about these methods to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to self-direct, multitask, and prioritize a constantly evolving workload.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in ambiguous environments by driving the strategy rather than waiting for a strategy to drive you
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in labor market forecasting and workforce analytics and skills development
- Deep knowledge of countries in conflict and national development strategic documents
- Experience with people analytics at a regional or global scale
- Experience and passion in sustainability practices and supporting technology
- Proven track record of translating findings into actions
- Ability to work cross functionally and collaborate with multiple teams
- Develops strong relationships across teams and actors
English, Dari and Pashto would be an advantage.
- Domestic and international travel up to 10% may be required