Name of the Host Institution: Berbera Municipal Authority
Background Information about Host Institution
Berbera local government administers the country economic and trade hub located in a strategic position on the Gulf of Aden. The Berbera local government needs to improve its internal operational and administrative systems through increased efficiency and effective information management. Access to information is now very slow and inefficient as information is now often stored in a decentralized manner and much time is lost in allowing the right people to access the right information at the right time. The district wants to improve its information management through a centralized internal system network, to support in managing the high amount of information and information resources and to support efficiency and effectiveness.
Department/Unit: Department of Development Planning
Duration of assignment (max 3 months): From 1st August until 1st November 2020
Objectives of Assignment
The aim of this assignment is to support the District in the introduction of an internal system network, to support the management of the high amount of information and information resources that are present.. The Berbera district ‘intranet’ will support district staff in managing the flood of information and data that is currently decentralized. The internal network will ensure that information and data is accessible and available and that every department and staff member has the right information at the right time in the right format. This will increase the local governments efficiency and productivity, and support in providing the best way of delivering services to all its residents and to put ‘people first’ in the way it runs its administration.
The assignment will support district Planning and IT staff in the development and set-up of an internal network linking and providing a platform for all information and data through an ‘intranet’ platform.
To lead the design, development and set-up of an internal network linking and providing a platform for all information and data through an ‘intranet’ platform for the district. The assignment will be achieved through the following steps:
- The technical review and mapping of all the existing information processes in the District (What information is required, who needs access to it, how is this information managed, etc.);
- The technical design, set-up and development of an internal network, a Berbera District ‘intranet’;
- Training of District Management, IT and Planning staff in the use, maintenance and functionalities of the system;
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Conduct a technical review of all the existing systems, software programs used in the District, and mapping of all the existing information processes in the District (What information is required, who needs access to it, how is this information managed, etc.).
- Identify and clarify current challenges and obstacles with regards to information management and information security, and design an Interactive and appealing intranet design that show-case the best elements in delivering a best suited intranet design option.
- Set-up secured and authenticated access to the internal system, and develop the document management system with features and description for uploading.
- Develop photo and video bank gallery features, and blog, discussion forum, survey features and tools in the system, and search, wiki, archive and membership features.
- Identify with district management level of access, permissions, and administrations, and advise District senior management, Planning and IT staff in the system use, maintenance, administration, permissions and set-up of an internal network;
- Provide training to district staff on how to use the internal intranet system and process for the maintenance of the system;
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability Technical
- Strong knowledge of IT network systems
- Experience in design and development of network systems
- Capable to induce, train and coach technical staff in system use and maintenance
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in system engineering from a recognized college or university, or related field;
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience in network system engineering, maintenance, development or proven aptitude sufficient to demonstrate the ability to meet the demands of the position
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent