The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in selected sectors in four focus countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
In each country priority sectors and institutions have been identified, in close coordination with responsible ministries and the Netherlands embassies. Assignments are for a short periods of up to 3 months and the project offers an allowance to cover costs
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Justice conducts legal review of government policy and legislation, including with regard to matters related to migration governance in Iraq. The Ministry of Justice is a member of the migration Technical Working Group, which seeks to strengthen migration governance in Iraq.
Migration trends are a growing area of policy interest in Iraq following the displacement of people from areas affected by the conflict with ISIS. As recovery and reconstruction begins, there is need to consider legal processes, requirements and challenges to ensure safe, orderly and dignified migration in Iraq.
Organizational unit/Department: Human Rights Commission
Duration of assignment: 2 months
Objectives of Assignment
The assignment will support the Human Rights Commission of the Ministry of Justice to provide concise briefs to Ministry staff on Iraq’s obligations regarding migrants and migration governance under relevant international protocols, laws, resolutions, etc. The Human Rights Directorate may use the material for future internal staff training.
The assignment will be achieved through the following steps:
1) identifying the legal obligations of Iraq under migration-related international conventions to which Iraq is currently a party;
2) providing short summaries of these obligations in memos or training materials;
3) training for Ministry staff.
The assignment will provide two deliverables:
1) concise memos or briefs in Arabic summarizing the international legal obligations of Iraq under migration-related conventions that Iraq is a party to;
2) training in Arabic for staff of the Ministry of Justice on these obligations, including origins, rationale and examples of practice.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Complete a desk review of migration-related conventions to which Iraq is a party;
- Draft concise memos covering as many obligations as is feasible;
- Provide short legal trainings for Ministry of Justice staff;
- Seek partnerships with universities, research institutes, and other practitioners in Iraq to link up Iraqi experts in international law with relevant staff in the Ministry of Justice
- Strong legal analysis and communication skills
- Knowledge of international law
- Teaching experience highly desirable
Education and Experience
- University degree in international law, political science, human rights or related field;
- Experience in teaching is considered an asset;
- Arabic required
- English highly desirable
If you are interested in this assignment please apply here.