Name of Host institution
Berbera Municipal Authority
Focal Point at Host Institution
Khalifa Ibrahim Abdi
Background Information about Host Institution
The Berbera Local Government administers the regions economic and trade hub located strategically on the Gulf of Aden. In terms of skills and knowledge, the Berbera Local Government does not have enough capacity to engage its bottom-up local economic development plan. The Municipal Authority needs external experts to support technical and skills capacity to mobilize local resources and engage key local economic stakeholders to boost its socio-economic and infrastructure development.
Department of Development Planning
Duration of assignment (max 3 months)
From 1stJuly Till 30th September
Objectives of Assignment
This assignment aims to introduce and build the capacity of the Berbera Municipal Authority to provide services to the Fishing sector. This includes providing support towards the establishment of a Fisheries Port, Fisheries Market and other Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) for the Fishing sector, as a means to promote and stimulate the local fishing sector as part of local economic development.
To lead and support the formulation of policy and strategies for fishery port services, to accelerate private sector development and public-private partnerships (PPP) achieved by the Municipality.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assess the district’s knowledge, experience, and expectations of the Fisheries services, facilities, and PPP’s; and introduce district staff to the concept of a fishing value chain.
- Train District staff on Fishing sector value chains and PPPs, and advise District senior and technical staff on the value of the Fisheries sector inclusive service delivery and development.
- Provide coaching and mentoring for district staff on how to initiate (design) a Fisheries project.
- Support District staff with developing a concrete Fisheries sector PPP business case for Berbera (e.g. Fisheries Port, Fisheries Market, cooling station, etc) and facilitate the District in developing PPP contracts/agreements with third parties.
- Mentor District staff and partners on the various roles and responsibilities of all stakeholders in PPP’s and provide information and knowledge materials on various PPP models and examples for local governments.
- Results Focused
- Good teamwork skills
- Good communication skills
- Able to build effective relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good time management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Policy and legal support
- Small-scale / community fisheries monitoring
- Monitoring, control, and surveillance (MCS)
- Nearshore fish aggregating devices (FADs): design, deployment, monitoring, management, fishing techniques
- Post-harvest and value-adding in small-scale fisheries
- Safety at sea in small-scale fisheries
- Fishing techniques in small-scale fisheries
- Small fishing vessel design and building
- Fisher’s associations and cooperatives
- Fisheries-related SDG monitoring and statistics
Education and Experience
- Advanced university degree or specialized degree in fisheries studies, development studies, marine biology or ecology, fisheries or natural resources economics, fisheries technology, gender or social development, law or marine/freshwater affairs, or other fields related to fish trade, value chains, or food safety.
- A technical diploma plus demonstrated and relevant professional experience of at least 4 years can be accepted instead of a university degree.
- Relevant experience in one or more areas in the field of fisheries governance or management, natural resource management, community development, project development, and implementation, or other related fields,
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent