Name of Host Institution
Berbera Municipal Authority
Focal Point at Host Institution
Khalifa Ibrahim Abdi
Background Information about Host Institution
The Berbera Local Government administers the regions economic and trade hub, located strategically on the Gulf of Aden. In terms of skills and knowledge, the Berbera Local Government does not have enough capacity to engage its bottom-up local economic development plan. The Municipal Authority needs external experts to support technical and skills capacity to mobilize local resources and engage key local economic stakeholders to boost its socio-economic and infrastructure development.
Organizational unit/Department: Department of Development Planning
Duration of assignment (max 3 months): From 1st July until 30th September 2020
Objectives of Assignment
This assignment aims to support the district’s economic development, by providing transfer of knowledge for the improvement of the district’s communication, public relations, and information provision to residents, communities, local businesses, and other relations.
Furthermore, the expert will introduce and build the capacity of Berbera Municipal Authority on city marketing, promotion, and beautification as a means to promote and stimulate local economic development.
To lead and support the formulation of policy, strategies, and programs to accelerate private sector development and public-private partnerships (PPP) achieved by the Municipality.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assess the District’s current public information and communication practices, and introduce District staff to the concepts of public-relations and communication with citizens, as well as city Marketing and promotion.
- Train District staff on city marketing, promotion and information provision, and advise District senior and technical staff on the value of public relations, marketing, promotion, and public communication.
- Provide coaching and mentoring for district staff on communication and information practices and support District leadership and staff with developing a Communication and Marketing policy.
- Support District staff with developing a concrete new communication channel with citizens, and facilitate the District in developing a city marketing campaign;
- Mentor District and partners on the integration of communication, public relations, and information provision in their daily work and tasks.
- Strong overall communication skills
- Solid grasp of analytics
- Strong understanding of inbound marketing
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Digital advertising experience
- Good time management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Database querying
- Front-end development
- Basic understanding of statistics
- Preparing Berbera marketeers for the future
Education and Experience
- MA in advertising, promotions, and marketing or bachelor’s degree is required.
- More than 5 years’ experience in a relevant position.
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent