You will join a pool of Oxfam Novib’s public campaigners working on a variety of issues and part of a Campaign & Influencing Expertise Unit, and you will be seconded for 32 hours / week to the FAIR Value Chains and Food Systems Goal Unit.
The Unit is responsible for our work on pressuring (directly or indirectly) the Dutch and international private and financial sector to ensure that power and profits are shared fairly between financiers, companies, traders, and the people who produce or consume; that compliance to business, human rights and sustainability standards is the norm. We need to ensure a living income, decent work, and secure rights for small holders and workers who are key in feeding the world.
We work towards a radical shift of the share of power, profits, and value in food systems & value chains in favour of (women) small-scale food producers, workers and their communities. To achieve this, we take a systemic approach influencing actors in these chains (including indirectly through governments and multilateral organizations); we generate expertise around key topics like living wage, living income, land rights, gender; and we co-lead in developing and testing alternative business models. The Unit provides thought leadership on what fair food systems look like, and how to build a human economy through a fairer global food system.
In this role, you will lead or support the design and implementation of public campaigning strategies to influence specific actors in the global food system, including campaign strategy, power mapping, audience-research, alliance-building, and actual campaign implementation, both on-line and off-line. You will work with both Dutch publics, and publics across the world, often in support on national campaigns led by Oxfam country offices or Southern Affiliates, or as part of Oxfam International global public campaigns.
The person we are looking for has a track record in public campaigns, in both Dutch and international settings. The Corporate Accountability and Food Justice Campaigner is a campaign expert, can use a variety of strategies and tactics, understands publics and can do hands-on work, they are a connector, and has a passion to be part of a global movement to achieve social justice. You are comfortable in planning and organizing your own work, you thrive working across different cultures and backgrounds. You are aware of power imbalances within networks and you work to strengthen Southern and female leadership.
The position is part of two projects (Sida2GROW and PVP FAIR FORALL: Improving Value Chains at Scale) and delivers on them, working closely with colleagues from US, Brasil, UK, India, South Africa, Indonesia, South Africa, Thailand, and contributing to both Dutch and global campaigns etc.
- Develop and implement impactful public campaign strategies and plans on food value chains in a (international) multidisciplinary team;
- Translate complex policy language into public friendly campaign materials that inspire others to take action on food value chains related issues;
- Lead on ongoing public campaign activities (e.g. Behind the Barcodes), both in The Netherlands as within the global team;
- Develop and co-create (online) campaign content that contributes to a meaningful supporter journey (f.e. blogs, e-mails, social media-texts, visual material and innovative campaign activities);
- Work together with country teams and international teams to contribute to the development of campaign strategies and materials, including story gathering design;
- Monitor what’s happening in (inter)national debate around our themes and pro-actively link to that publicly where you see opportunities, mainly on social media or in the media;
- Responsible for contributing to monitoring-and annual reports, annual plans and project budgets for all projects you work on (Sida2GROW and PVP FAIR FOR ALL) and adhere to all donor requirements (f.e. communication guidelines and procurement steps);
- Monitor and evaluate the effectivity of campaign activities by using available analytical tools;
- Take initiative to get public campaigns at the heart of the FAIR Value Chains and Food Systems Unit.
What you bring:
- Experience with and knowledge of online and offline mobilisation strategies and -tactics;
- Proven experience and knowledge of innovative offline and digital campaigning;
- An activistic mindset. Proven experience, knowledge and affinity with social movements and mobilizing people;
- Ability to think creatively and work strategically while being pragmatic with a hands-on approach;
- Excellent interpersonal and communicative skills;
- Team player with ability to work together in multidisciplinary teams in the Netherlands, international and with local partners in the Global South;
- An academic level (master’s degree) or a relevant qualification at HBO (Higher Vocation Education);
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience in (public) campaigning;
- Leadership skills, the capacity to motivate others, and demonstrated ability to facilitate international and virtual teams;
- Fluency in written and oral Dutch and English. Fluency in Spanish and/or French is a plus;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and attention to detail;
- Passion for working on food systems, human rights, social justice, value chains and private sector is a plus;
- Lived working experience in countries in the Global South is highly preferred;
- Experience of public campaigning in the global South or keen interest in engaging with influencing across different geographies.
- Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member state or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The position is classified in scale 9. The monthly gross salary range is between €2911,- to €4479,- on the basis of 36 hours per week.
Want to apply?
If you think you’re the person we’re looking for and this is the job you want, we would love to meet you. Please send your application letter and resumé/C.V. in English. Deadline for applying is 10th December 2021. Please click here to apply.