Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
The Influencing and campaign team in Oxfam Novib is looking for a
36 hours a week for 1 year, with the possibility of an extension
Based in The Hague
Objective of the position
Oxfam Novib is looking for a campaigning champion who, together with us and many others, wants to work towards creating a just world without poverty. We believe that people are more than capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local partners and projects in the Global South, and why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people.
This position is being funded by several external grants, more specifically MoFa funded ‘Power of Voices: Fair for All’ and ‘Power of Voices: African Activist for Climate Justice’; and the Sida funded programme ‘Harvesting global food security and justice in the face of climate change’. A keen eye and active involvement is foreseen in the ambition to contribute to a diverse and active movement for climate justice. This role works across and within the Oxfam confederation and with partners to support and co-develop public campaigns and influencing strategies in the South, internationally and in the Netherlands In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing effective strategies and developing exciting content that inspire people to support change.
The person we’re looking for is knowledgeable about campaigning and has a proven track record in winning campaigns. You have a clear understanding of digital (you’re a digital native) campaigning and influencing, in the global North & South and know how to develop and implement offline campaign activities. You have a passion for the issues of climate crisis, natiral resources and social justice and an appetite to translate these issues into communication for publics. You work well in a multi disciplinary team around the world and can find balance between different angles and stakeholders. You will work from the perspective of a co-actor in change together with Oxfam Novib, other Oxfam’s, Oxfam country teams, partners and local movements in multi functional teams.
- Design and implement impactful public campaign strategies, plans and budgets in a multi disciplinary team;
- Translate complex policy language into exciting public messaging and materials that inspire others to take action on climate justice;
- Develop and co-produce engaging (online) campaign content e.g. writing blogs, emails and social media copy, create visual materials and develop innovative campaign activities that support the overall supporter journey and perspecive;
- Liaise with developers to create, manage, maintain and troubleshoot online campaign platforms.
- Work with Oxfam country teams and global teams to support the development of their own campaign strategies and materials;
- Support movement building and work with movements
- Organize and provide trainings on campaigning and capacity building to Oxfam country teams and partners when required;
- Keep up to date about the latest developments in the field of (digital and offline) campaigning, mobilization and movement building;
- Keep up to date about the public trends related to the areas you work on and translate these into campaign activities;
- Help) prepare monitoring and annual reports you are working in and ensure that all donor requirements such as communication guidelines and other accountability standards are implemented.
- Ensure downward accountability to target groups by engaging in a learning agenda and by sharing the learnings with them at regular intervals;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of (new) fund-raising projects with the public and with donors;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of campaign activities using analytic tools;
- An academic level (master degree) or a relevant qualification at HBO (Higher Vocation Education);
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience, preferably in an interntional organization or company;
- Experience with and knowledge of both online and offline mobilization strategies and tactics
- Understanding and experience working on issues such as climate, land rights and the global food system is a plus
- Experience creating campaigns with Lean/Agile project management methods and design thinking/user centered design;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- You are a team player with the ability to collaborate with other campaigners, other stakeholders across the organization, and local partners.
- Ability to manage projects and meet tight deadlines while working under pressure.
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to think and work on a strategic level while being pragmatic, hands-on and paying attention to detail;
- You know an opportunity when you see one and are flexible within your role, able to prioritise efficiently
- Excellent skills in written and oral Dutch and English , French and/or Spanish is a plus
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe programs is a plus
- Experience with WordPress or other CMS, and HTML a plus
- Applicants must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union and possess travel permits.
From all employees it is expected that they are willing to travel regularly and/ or for longer periods.
You will be housed in the Influencing and Campaigns unit and seconded to the GREEN Climate Justice Activism unit.
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 9. The gross salary range is between € 2.911,- to € 4.479,- on the basis of 36 hours per week. The position will be based in The Hague, The Netherlands.
More information and application procedure
If you are interested, please upload your application via the ‘apply’ button below, no later than April 20st, 2021.
For more information about the position, you can contact Gerard Steehouwer (gerard.Steehouwer@oxfamnovib.nl).
Aplications received by email will not be processed
Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.