>>>Application for the AMID Young Professional traineeship programme 2022 is open from September 16 to October 14, 09.00 hrs, 2021<<<
- Are you an ambitious graduate dedicated to countering urgent and complex global challenges, such as climate change, poverty and inequality?
- Do you want to invest in acquiring the knowledge and skills needed for a professional to contribute to a fair and sustainable world?
- Do you want to become part of a (mostly online) international classroom?
- And do you want to gain access to a professional career in this sector?
AMID Young Professional, offered by the Radboud University Nijmegen since 1998, invites applicants for its 24th edition, starting February 2022. For the programme in 2022 we are looking for 30 to 35 trainees.
The AMID Young Professional traineeship is a unique, one-year dual programme where trainees work four days a week at an organisation engaged in realizing the Sustainable Development Goals. They come together for academic reflection and training on Fridays. Almost three quarters of AMID alumni is permanently working in the field of international development (AMID tracer study, 2021). They value AMID Young Professional for providing them with relevant academic knowledge combined with practical skills, valuable working experience and an essential professional network.
As a result of completing the AMID Young Professional traineeship, you:
- have knowledge of and insight in the theories, playing field, skills and current themes in sustainable development and can apply these as a scientist-practitioner to the day-to-day practice of different types of organisations in the framework of the SDGs;
- have developed an academically supported critical approach towards sustainable development and practical training on the skills needed to act on this approach;
- can communicate and collaborate with all those involved in the field of sustainable development and work effectively across differences;
- take responsibility in, and influence the public discussion concerning sustainable development;
- can reflect on the field you are working in and on your own position;
- proactively take responsibility for your own (lifelong) learning process;
- have gained a full year of work experience in a junior position in a competitive field;
- are part of an extensive international network of ambitious (young) professionals in the field.
How does it work?
Those convinced of being the right fit for AMID, can apply from September 16th until October 14th, 2021. Afterwards, you undergo a selection procedure. If you are selected to join AMID, we will match you with the available trainee positions, if possible. The AMID Young Professional academic year runs from February to February – this is also the duration of your employment when you are matched.
How to propose an organisation I (have) work(ed) for?
If you already work at an organisation active in the field of sustainable development and international cooperation you can also apply for AMID Young Professional. Read how to do so, here or contact us for more information (email@example.com). Please note: if are you currently working in an organisation involved in realizing the SDGs based outside of the Netherlands and are you interesting in joining AMID from that organisation, please contact us.
What to expect from the academic programme?
The year is divided into four modules, which are cumulative and mutually supportive. Each of the four modules is concluded with a written assignment. We offer a blended programme in an international classroom: approximately 75% takes place online, 25% takes place face-to-face. Our high-quality online lectures (mostly on Fridays) are complemented by two-day, face-to-face trainings, in the AMID Global Network hubs, currently the Netherlands and Kenya. Preparation for the lectures will take up approximately four hours a week. We also organise additional activities, such as literature dialogue sessions, personal development sessions and webinars (of which the latter is not mandatory).
What to expect from work?
As a trainee, you work in a junior position. The job package varies between of, amongst others, policy-related work, communication, research or project management. All trainees work under the direct supervision of a senior colleague, with whom you conduct reflective and evaluative interviews.
Are you eligible?
How do you know whether you would be the right fit for the AMID Young Professional traineeship? The exact entry requirements as well as more information on the application process can be found on the application page. The complete requirements for participation can also be found in our FAQs. The application for the AMID Young Professional programme runs from September 16th until October 14th, 2021.
Costs & imbursements
As a trainee, you will receive at least a minimum wage and commuting costs for work and training days. 90% of the tuition fee for the AMID Young Professional traineeship will be completed by your employing organisation. Other terms of employment can be agreed upon in a separate contract between trainee and organisation. The organisation does not have to provide a job guarantee. 10% of the tuition fee is paid for by the trainee. The contribution for trainees in 2022 is € 990. Candidates paid a € 75 registration fee (€ 37,50 with early bird discount). The registration is valid for two selection attempts.