Who we are
Advance Consulting is a business development consultancy that operates in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our North Star is to develop vibrant, green and inclusive Small and Medium Enterprises in the Agrifood and Renewable Energy sectors.
In 2050, the number of people who live on this planet will have doubled. We believe that Agrifood Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) will play a key role in feeding this population, as they occupy critical positions along the value chains as producers, input suppliers, off-takers, processors, and distributors. At the same time, access to affordable energy is a pre-condition for sustainable development, and renewable energy production in developing countries already surpassed the capacity generated by fossil fuels. SMEs in the renewable energy sector are pivotal in assuring that 900 million people, who currently do not have electricity, will gain access to affordable energy by 2030.
We are contributing to these goals by facilitating private sector development of the Agrifood and Renewable Energy sectors of Africa, Asia and Latin America in an environmental-friendly, socially responsible and commercially sustainable way.
What we offer to our clients
We are active in this space since 1999. Our headquarters is in The Netherlands, and we also have offices in Kenya, Jordan and Burkina Faso. We are a team of 21 passionate consultants, and we work with associate experts in more than 60 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our clients include SMEs, Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), Social Impact Investors, NGOs, donor organizations and governments. Our client offering includes:
- Finance acquisition for SMEs by brokering loans, equity and grants from DFIs, Social Impact Investors and donor organizations.
- Business development services for SMEs, including strategy development, market assessments, business plan development, technical feasibility studies, match making, trainings on HR, financial and supply chain management,
- implementation of company governance and reporting structures, support to certification and improvement of extension services, implementation of accounting, ERP, ESG and FMIS systems, as well as enhancing risk management and impact of business operations.
- Management of private sector development projects with social, environmental and economic impact, including Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs).
- Advisory services on private sector development for DFIs, Social Impact Investors, NGOs, donor organizations and governments. These services include proposal writing, execution of market, feasibility and sector studies, strategy and policy development, development and evaluation of PPPS and private sector development projects, as well training on SME, private sector and value chain development.
About the position
The job of an AgriFood Business Advisor at Advance Consulting is quite diverse. You can expect to work on both long-term projects and short-term assignments for a varied range of international clients such as agribusiness companies, public and civil society organizations and governmental bodies. While your base will be at our office in Ede, The Netherlands, you will be traveling up to 6-12 weeks per year for assignments in Africa, Asia and America. Some examples of assignments you may work on include:
- Project design and proposal development for agricultural and agribusiness development project.
- Business plan development and finance acquisition for agribusinesses aiming to start or expand operations to developing countries.
- Carrying out market research, feasibility studies and value chain analyses, as well as developing strategies to seize opportunities and tackle risks;
- Evaluations of agricultural development programmes and partnerships;
- Financial due diligences and environmental and social sustainability assessments;
- Executing business process improvement trajectories for companies and value chain partners to improve their operations, management and value chain processes;
- Acquiring new projects and bringing in new clients.
As we strive to deliver excellence to our clients, we are on the lookout for outstanding candidates. You may be the perfect match if you share our passion for agribusiness, sustainable value chains and private sector development in emerging economies, and bring the following:
- A master’s degree in (international) agribusiness management, agronomy, sustainable supply chain management; development economics, agricultural economics or another relevant discipline;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, including significant experience working in Africa, Asia or Latin America with a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Deep understanding of and experience with agriculture, agribusiness, private sector development and sustainable value chain development;
- Knowledge and awareness of international donor programmes and major policy themes related to agricultural sector development;
- Demonstrated strength in project design, proposal development and finance acquisition;
- Excellent customer relation and stakeholder management skills: you are highly service-oriented towards our clients;
- Strong analytical, organizational and project management skills;
- Exceptional spoken and written communication skills in English. Fluency in French is a preference;
- Ability to work well under pressure, meeting occasionally conflicting deadlines;
- A sense of humor and a positive outlook on life and teamwork.
What we offer
At Advance Consulting you will become part of a dynamic and unique international team. We offer you a competitive salary and a variety of additional benefits, such as travel allowance, retirement benefits, travel insurance and an end-of-year bonus for high-performers. We also offer opportunities to learn and develop on the job, and we pride ourselves in offering a healthy work-life balance. Our light office with a spacious garden is located at a stone throw from Ede-Wageningen train station.
How to apply
Are you the top candidate that we are looking for? Please send your CV and motivation letter to Willemijn Blokland: email@example.com