PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
Team Leader Africa and Latin America
Maternity leave replacement for 5 months from 15 November 2022 to 15 April 2023 (0,8 - 0,9 fte).
PAX is looking for an experienced Team Leader for the Africa and Latin America team.
PAX in short
PAX is the largest peace organization in the Netherlands. We work for peace in conflict countries where war is raging or where society has been disrupted by violence. In addition, PAX campaigns against trade and investments in controversial weapons and arms such as nuclear weapons, cluster munitions and killer robots. In the Netherlands, PAX is committed to a solidarity-based society, together with local organizations and enthusiastic volunteers. In Africa and Latin America Pax stands side by side with local partners from the affected communities to jointly strive for conflict resolutions and transitional justice.
Purpose of the position
The overall purpose is to manage programs which are impactful, inspiring, visibly supportive of local communities and supportive of PAX strategic objectives and policy frameworks. This includes increased program and thematic cohesion and coordination within in the team and across PAX teams. S(h)e, together with staff develops projects and liaises with donors and other stakeholders in support of PAX Africa and Latin America objectives.
The Team Leader is responsible for integral management of the team, the implementation of personnel management and for the coordination of projects and programs. S(h)e plays a role in the further professionalization of the team, the integration and strengthening of integral and project management capacities and increased impact of programs on the ground. The Team Leader is responsible for monitoring and realization of the team objectives set in the annual plan, including fundraising.
The Team Leader reports to the PAX Program Director.
Team Africa and Latin America
The team, including staff in both Utrecht as in-country, consists of 17 positions and manages projects in Colombia, Sudan, South Sudan, DR Congo and Burkina Faso. Together with the Middle East and Europe team, this team is responsible for the delivery of PAX projects in country. The team works closely together with thematic and support teams within PAX.
You and your capacities
You are a solid and decisive professional with significant management experience in leading teams in situations of continuous change and complexity. You have experience in integral management and working in a project-based setting. You are knowledgeable in human rights, development and/or peace building and have worked in Africa and/or Latin America. You also have substantial experience with remote management including intercultural competences.
Knowledge and expertise
- Masters professional level in a relevant discipline;
- Substantial management experience preferably in a peacebuilding/human rights/development organization;
- Experienced to lead on project- and financial management;
- Familiarity with conflict resolution in fragile states in Africa and/or Latin America;
- Knowledge of and experience in change management;
- Good command of the Dutch and English language, spoken and written. French or Spanish would be a further asset;
- Strongly believe in the mission and values of PAX;
- Eligible to work in the EU.
- Program development, fundraising and implementation;
- Team (financial) sustainability, well-being and effectiveness;
- Planning and Control;
- Contributing to organizational change and organizational development.
- Leadership: you show leadership that is firm yet inclusive and empathetic;
- Decisiveness: you can take well-founded decisions and are able to communicate these decisions clearly and convincingly;
- Analytical skills: you can recognize trends and development in peace and conflicts in the countries you work in and to translate these to meaningful program and advocacy interventions;
- Organizational sensitivity;
- Planning and organizing;
- An interesting position in a dynamic, informal, internationally oriented work environment.
- A contract (28-32 hours) for 5 months.
- Salary depending on background and experience and further benefits based on the employment conditions of the Protestant Churches of the Netherlands.
Procedure and information
For more information about PAX: https://www.paxforpeace.nl.
More information about this position can be obtained from Jacobien Falk, HR Advisor, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV (max 3 pages) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in English addressed to Jacobien Falk, HR Advisor, solely by filling in the application form at the bottom of the vacancy page on our website.
Closing date for applications to this position is the 9th of October 2022.
PAX stands for equal opportunities and participation for everyone with qualities, passion and guts. We invite candidates of all backgrounds, including those with special abilities or limited opportunities, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.