We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class, or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
510 is the data & digital initiative of The Netherlands Red Cross. 510 gets its name from the total surface area of the earth (510 million square kilometers) and aims to help every national society in need anywhere. 510’s purpose is to improve speed, quality, and cost-effectiveness of humanitarian assistance by creating products using data and digital. 510 started in March 2016 with a core team of 3 and never stopped growing. Currently, 510 has 113 team members of which 77 professional volunteers.
510 has opened a vacancy for a:
Senior Software developer
(The Hague, 40 hours/week)
510 is a unique organisation within the Red Cross Red Crescent federation with a ‘tech start up’ vibe. It has grown rapidly over the past 5 years, however its most exciting chapter has only just begun, which is a major scale up in the development of digital products that will result in a significant increase in clients and usage, which in turn will result in a massive increase in the numbers of people in need the products will support. The senior software developer is a critical role in making this happen and will be at the centre of this exciting scale up.
Purpose of the position
Ensure our digital products are reliable, secure, and developed with high quality and in a coordinated way. Our products aim to improve the speed, quality, or effectiveness of humanitarian operations by the Red Cross. Two main products developed by our team are: Impact Based Forecasting systems and 121 platform.
Position within 510
Your line manager is the Digital team lead of 510. You work closely with the digital team on the product development, and with the data team on data pipelines and the catalogue. You interface with the external IT support team of the organization. Currently there are 6 software developers working non-dedicated in agile teams on multiple products.
Contribute to frontend and backend development: (c. 50%)
- Maintain software architecture, document and communicate to team
- Writing business logic code & APIs and user/developer-documentation.
- Writing unit/integration tests and debugging back-end modules.
- Build responsive web-apps with modern web technologies.
- Consuming back-end web-services and RESTful APIs.
- Testing code modules against requirements
- Testing front end integration with the back end
Coordination (c. 20%)
- Maintains the overall capacity planning of the developers, assigning them to agile product teams, and ensuring their capacity plan is realistic
- Identifies capacity gaps or excesses among the developers and initiates timely requests for capacity / reassignment
- Supports the developers in their skill development, by identifying with them the skill and knowledge gaps, and propose a learning pathway.
- Ensure that developers know how and where to register time in our project planning system Forecast.
Quality assurance (c. 10%)
- Writing unit tests to continually improve quality and our ability to introduce features at a rapid pace
- Lead monitoring of test execution
- Responsible for organizing regular security (pen)tests and handling security improvements with priority
- Conducting code reviews with other team members.
Responsibilities for DevOps: (c. 20%)
- Maintaining CI/CD pipelines and deploying software to production-ready environment
- Automation implementation to improve the efficiency of engineering and software development
- Incident response and incident management
- Setting up actionable monitoring of applications
- Supporting other developers to develop software that fits in the DevOps environment
Able to step into Scrum Master role, among others:
- Coaching the team members in self-management and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Scrum Team focus on creating high-value Increments that meet the Definition of Done;
- Causing the removal of impediments to the Scrum Team’s progress; and,
- Ensuring that all Scrum events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.
- Helping find techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Helping establish empirical product planning for a complex environment; and,
- Facilitating stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed.
- Higher education or university degree in a technical domain
- Six or more years' work experience in backend and frontend development in a professional environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English.
- Dutch language skills preferred
Skills and experience
- Proven ability to coordinate a team of developers
- Experience with increasing the knowledge and skills in a team of developers
- Experience working in agile teams with designers, product owners and other frontend and backend developers
- Worked in an agile scrum environment and skilled as a scrum master
- Experience with Node.js on the back end/server-side
- Experience with TDD or similar methodologies
- Experience with non-framework web-development
- Experienced with SQL and no-SQL databases and query languages
- Ability to transform (Photoshop/Sketch/XD/Figma) designs into interactive web pages.
- Experience with Node.js, npm and front-end build-tools/workflows.
- Experience with other web frameworks like React (Native) or Vue.js
- Experience with the web framework Ionic + Angular (or similar)
- Familiarity developing/debugging for multiple (mobile) browsers/platforms.
- Experience with Git version control and GitHub (open source) workflow(s).
- Experience developing and using APIs.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and workflows on GitHub/Azure
- Experience with setting up and maintaining an Ubuntu Server
- Experience with Docker-based development/deployment
- Experience with Azure cloud-services, like Pipelines/WebApp-Services, Application Insights, etc.
- Helicopter view
- Listening skills
The Red Cross is looking for employees with talent and excellent competences for a position and is not guided by cultural background, physical limitations, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or age. Please note that a work and residence permit for the Netherlands is required.
What we offer
An interesting job with a unique organization and an innovative team. The organization has an immense international network and a significant impact in the humanitarian sector.
We offer a flexible and social working environment with room for initiative and personal development. A contract for a year with the possibility to extend. The salary is set in scale 12 and dependent upon education and relevant professional experience (min. € 3.947,37 € 5.239,87 gross based on fulltime position).
Our office is in the Hague, it is easy to reach by public transport. We work both from home and from the office, on an activity based manner. When we are at home, we keep in close touch via Teams to make sure we stay connected to each other and our network.
Please send a letter of motivation and CV in English with reference to Shelly Jonker, through our website, before 14 August.
An assessment and reference check are part of the selection process.
For further information on the position please contact the Unit Lead for 510; Maarten van der Veen, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the work of NLRC, check www.rodekruis.nl, facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis or Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
Acquisition for this vacancy will not be appreciated