PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
PAX has been active in Iraq since 2014, advocating towards a more gender equitable society and working together with women rights activists. For the project ‘Feminist Peace Leaders', PAX is recruiting a temporary feminist Project Officer to cover maternity leave. We are looking for someone with experience in the Iraqi context who is committed to women/gender peace and security programming.
(Senior) Project Officer Iraq
Maternity leave replacement for 6 months for 21,6 hours per week
In this cross-country project, implemented in Iraq and Sudan, a consortium of 3 organizations (PAX, SIHA and UPP) are working towards bridging the gap between grassroots feminist activism and women’s meaningful political participation. The five-year project began in 2021 and will end in 2025.
The Project Officer is responsible for the overall management of the Iraq component of the project, including project and partner coordination as well as leading project activities such as knowledge development and lobby and advocacy. The Project Officer will be supported by, and closely cooperate with, the Gender and Sudan teams within PAX, the consortium partner and two local partners in Iraq. The Project Officer will report to the PAX Iraq Programme Lead and will work at the PAX headquarters in Utrecht.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Project planning;
- Budget management;
- Project monitoring and participating in a mid-term evaluation;
- Strategic planning with Iraq partners.
- Ensure planning and coordination between the partners in Iraq, and with the different teams within PAX, including weekly and monthly calls with relevant partners;
- Coordination with other Dutch and international NGOs active on WPS/GPS in Iraq, and hosting Iraq country group coordination meetings each quarter (both on- and off-line) on context and thematic issues.
Managing project activities such as:
- Lobby and advocacy – working together with the Gender team, Sudan team and Public Affairs team on L&A events including CSW in March 2023;
- Working with PAX thematic team on non-violent action, and organize a training with the Iraq activists and coordinators on creative NVA;
- Ensure the continuation and implementation of the engaging men and transforming masculinities work;
- External communication about the project.
- Academic degree in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of or experience in gender, peace and security and/or experience in or on Iraq;
- Proven project management skills and experience;
- Commitment to feminist principles and inclusive, participatory programming;
- Ability to interact with people from different backgrounds, from policy makers to local communities;
- Working proficiency of English, Arabic skills desirable but not necessary;
- Ability to travel internationally (to Iraq and other undecided locations);
- Endorsement of PAX’s mission and values;
- Eligible to work in the EU.
- An interesting position in a dynamic, informal, internationally oriented work environment;
- Appointment starting 1 February 2023;
- A 6 month contract for 21,6 hours per week;
- Depending on prior experience either salary scale 8 (Project Officer) or 9 (Senior Project Officer) according to PKN terms and conditions of employment (scale 8 depending on experience min. € 2.574,01 – max. € 3.509,92; scale 9 depending on experience min. € 2.779,04 – max. € 4.005,54 gross for 36 hours per week);
- Full reimbursement of 2nd class public transport home-to-work travel costs.
Information and application
For more information about PAX see: www.paxforpeace.nl.
Further information regarding this vacancy, including a project summary, can be obtained from Florence Bateson, Senior Project Officer, via email@example.com.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application (letter and resumé including 2 references) addressed to Evert Jan Grit, Team lead Middle East, solely by filling in the following Application form (nmbrshire.com).
The closing date for this position is Sunday the 22nd of January 2023.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.