PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
The Humanitarian Disarmament programme at PAX seeks to address challenges around the use and proliferation of weapons and their impacts on security and the protection of civilians and the environment in relation to armed conflicts. Within this thematic programme PAX works on a diverse set of topics; ranging from nuclear weapons to conventional arms trade as well as the relationship between conflict, climate, the environment and peace.
We are currently expanding our network and outreach activities to strengthen PAX's research and advocacy in our work on both the Environment, Peace and Security (EPS) agenda and military drones. In particular we are looking for someone to take up leads in advocacy, policy development and to connect the research we do with local partners with national and international decision makers.
To realize our international ambitions in these fields, PAX is looking for a
Senior Project Officer Humanitarian Disarmament (30 hours p/w)
Responsibilities and tasks
- Initiating and further developing research-based advocacy towards governments and international actors;
- Maintaining a network of interested experts, academics, civil society groups and policymakers to explore avenues for collaborations;
- Linking levels between civilians in conflict and high-risk areas, international advocacy platforms and local and international decision makers;
- Exploring funding opportunities for (field) research, advocacy and campaigns.
Climate, Environment and Conflict
- Taking the initiative on policy papers addressing specific avenues for action through multilateral forums on environment, peace and security;
- Contributing to (field) research and analysis around the environmental and climate dimensions of armed conflict.
- Supporting national and international advocacy work on military drones;
- Contributing to research and analysis around drone proliferation and use through country and thematic case-studies.
Knowledge and expertise
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional level in a relevant discipline required;
- Around 5 years’ experience working on advocacy in environmental issues or military technologies, preferable also on uncrewed systems;
- Experience working with international policymaking fora and/or civil society networks;
- Demonstrated coordination and networking skills;
- Good command of English language, spoken and written;
- Strongly believe in the mission and values of PAX;
- Eligible to work in the EU.
- Decisiveness: you can take well-founded decisions and are able to communicate these decisions clearly and convincingly;
- Analytical skills: you can recognize trends and developments in the areas of international security and translate these to meaningful program and advocacy interventions;
- Organizational sensitivity;
- Planning and organizing;
- Pro-active and independent worker;
- Willing to travel, including to conflict zones.
- An interesting position in a dynamic, informal, internationally oriented work environment;
- Appointment for 30 hours per week, initially for one year;
- Salary scale 9 according to the PKN terms and conditions of employment (depending on background and experience a min. of € 2.779,04 to a max. of € 4.005,54 gross based on 36 hours per week);
- 8,3 % end-of-year bonus and 8 % holiday allowance;
- Full reimbursement of public transport travel expenses.
Procedure and information
For more information about PAX see www.paxforpeace.nl.
More information about this position can be obtained from Wim Zwijnenburg, Project Leader, via email@example.com.
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV and a motivation letter in English addressed to Wim Zwijnenburg, Project Leader, solely by using the application form at the bottom of our vacancy-website.
Closing date for applications to this position is the 27th of November 2022.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.