People should have the freedom to make their own choices in relation to sexuality and reproductive health, with respect for the rights of others, within a supportive society. Rutgers connects research, practice and advocacy.
Our work is characterised by an inclusive and activist approach to sexuality education, improved access to contraception and safe abortion and the prevention of sexual violence. We focus mainly on young people up to 30 years.
Rutgers is active in 29 countries and is run by 130 passionate professionals in the Netherlands and Indonesia. Values such as openness, equality and sustainability are key to all our activities.
For our international department we are recruiting:
Senior Programme Officer (French-speaking)
(28-36 hours per week, vacancy number 2022-21)
You will work in particular on our new programme Ado Avance Ensemble. This 3-year programme will start on the 1st of August 2022 and is funded by the European Union. Its objective is for vulnerable adolescents (10-19 years of age) to fully exercise their sexual and reproductive health and rights. The programme will be implemented in 5 countries in Francophone West Africa and at a regional level by a consortium of 8 organisations, led by Rutgers. You will work closely with consortium members and other relevant stakeholders in French-speaking countries in Africa. You report to the Programme manager of Ado Avance Ensemble.
You will be responsible for advising consortium members and in-country partners on the development and implementation of strategies and interventions that contribute to achieving the programme’s objectives. You will act as a resource person on SRHR, conduct advocacy and will represent the programme and Rutgers in various working groups. Preferably, a specific area of attention is safe abortion. You will also be responsible for managing relations with partners in a number of Francophone countries in West and Central Africa.
Command of French and English is essential for this role.
You operate in close collaboration with the programme manager and the colleagues in the programme team. Your duties and responsibilities are to:
- Manage relations with partner organisations in a number of Francophone countries;
- Act as an expert on SRHR and specifically safe abortion within the programme;
- Conduct advocacy in relation to Francophone West and Central Africa, including participation in relevant networks;
- Conduct and facilitate mutual capacity strengthening and learning activities between the consortium partners, with a focus on safe abortion and advocacy;
- (Co-)develop methodologies, materials and products for face to face, online or hybrid trainings and workshops, and to deliver trainings when necessary;
- Contribute to the Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (PMEL) of the programme and take a pro-active role in ensuring sound cooperation and coordination within the consortium and beyond;
- Building an internal and external network with colleagues and peers in partner organisations.
Our ideal candidate meets the following requirements:
- You have a degree in Social Sciences or similar, or professional experience relevant for the position that proves you are at a similar level;
- You have at least five years relevant experience in international development and cooperation, preferably gained in Africa or Asia, which includes experience in:
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, in particular safe abortion
- Advocacy and advocacy capacity strengthening, preferably in relation to safe abortion
- Country and partner management;
- You have excellent training and coaching skills, which you are capable of applying in different cultural contexts;
- You are strategic, analytical, creative and have experience in facilitating mutual learning and capacity strengthening activities, such as workshops or coaching;
- Preferably, you have experience with applying a gender transformative approach to advocacy and with working with young people;
- You are a team player, respectful to (cultural) differences and can navigate different values, backgrounds, genders and religions;
- You have professional working proficiency in English and French and are willing and able to travel abroad for work.
What we offer
You will work in an exciting and challenging international working environment, with highly motivated and passionate colleagues. Depending on knowledge and experience, the maximum salary for a 36-hour working week for a senior-level programme officer is € 4,883 gross per month (FWG scale 60). In addition to the primary employment conditions, Rutgers also offers a competitive package of secondary employment conditions. The collective labour agreement cao ggz
Our office is located in Utrecht, the Netherlands, but you will be working with colleagues all over the world. Most colleagues work from home a significant part of the week. While we prefer a candidate based in or near The Netherlands, remote working from the Francophone West African region is possible.
Information and application
We want to create a more inclusive and diverse organisation that values individual differences in the workforce and ensures that everyone feels welcome and safe. Do you feel attracted to this? Then we invite you to apply no later than Sunday 3 July 2022. The first round of interviews will take place on Thursday 14 July 2022. The second round of interviews will take place on Tuesday 19 July 2022. Please take these dates into account.
If you have any questions, please contact Paula Dijk, Programme Manager, via email@example.com
, stating the vacancy number.
Your personal data will be deleted six months after the end of the application procedure. This vacancy has been published both internally and externally. If this is not your dream job, support Rutgers by sharing this vacancy within your network.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.