Our Organization and Mission
The Access to Nutrition Initiative (ATNI) is an independent, not-for-profit organization based in the Netherlands. We publish consistent, standardized analysis and commentary on the food & beverage industry's efforts to improve consumers' access to nutritious foods and beverages.
Every country in the world is affected by malnutrition. Globally, one in three people are either undernourished, overweight, or obese. Over the last 35 years, obesity has more than doubled and has now reached epidemic proportions. Over the next ten years, undernutrition is also set to continue to increase in some countries.
ATNI's vision is a world in which:
- No one goes to bed hungry
- Everyone eats a healthy, affordable diet that has the nutrients they need to grow and develop fully
- Deaths and illnesses from diets low in essential vitamins and minerals are confined to history
Our aim is to drive change by tracking and driving the food industry's attempts to tackle obesity, diet-related chronic diseases, and undernutrition at the local and global levels. We design and deliver a range of private-sector accountability tools – using our own research, experience, and the knowledge of our growing global stakeholder network. Every action we take is intended to encourage businesses to do more to achieve good health through improved diets and nutrition.
ATNI publishes the Global Index, country Spotlight Indexes, and other tools and initiatives. Our products provide companies with tools to benchmark their performance on nutrition against others in their sector. They provide stakeholders with impartial, objective, consistent, and in-depth information on companies' contributions to improving nutrition. Our aim is to encourage companies both to increase the number of healthier products and to provide greater access to them – in addition to responsibly exercising their influence on consumers' choice and behavior.
We pride ourselves on being innovative and collaborative – and we are increasingly working on new accountability tools and conducting further bespoke research, establishing new partnerships with investors, not-for-profits, and foundations.
For more information on ATNI, please visit our website: https://www.accesstonutrition.org.
Your Role and Responsibilities
ATNI currently has around 20 staff members based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. To strengthen and complement our Program and Communications team – consisting of four Program Managers, two Communications Managers, and the Program Director – we are looking for a Senior Program Manager.
Together with other Program Managers and with the Research team – consisting of around ten researchers and managers – the Senior Program Manager will play a leading role in developing and managing (new) accountability and action-research programs focused on keeping the private sector accountable for its contributions on nutrition. You will be responsible for managing complex ATNI programs independently, such as the India Spotlight Index, by contributing to fundraising and acquisition for programs; contracting consultants/suppliers; leading on strategic content design and vision of certain programs (with the Research team); independently leading consultations and stakeholder engagement; overseeing program execution and (financial) program reporting; and leading on your programs' impact measurement. Additional tasks include coaching/managing fellow (junior) staff members and external consultants; writing and publishing content on programs (with Research and Communications); and, where required, representing ATNI at external conferences, meetings, and workshops related to your programs. In addition, together with the Program Director and Senior Research Manager, the Senior Program Manager plays a role in streamlining planning and coordination of planning between programs.
This position will require excellent management, organization and facilitation, and networking and communication skills, along with a diplomatic approach. Over ten years working at managing complex programs, as well as experience with multi-stakeholder processes is a pre-requisite. Moreover, a proven interest in, and understanding of, nutrition, health, and/or sustainable business is important.
The work of the Program and Communications Team is tightly integrated with the Research Team and other functions within ATNI.
This position will be based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. The team currently employs the hybrid work model, working both from home and at our office. The Senior Program Manager will be reporting directly to the Program Director.
The Senior Program Manager will play a central role in a dynamic young organization and will have the ability to help shape the expansion of the organization. This is a unique opportunity to make a substantial positive impact on improving global health by helping to fundamentally shape the nutrition standards and practices of the largest food & beverage manufacturers globally.
Your responsibilities include:
- Play a leading role in the strategic content design, vision, and development of new programs
- Lead in the execution of programs, managing the planning and delivering on time
- Administer competitive bidding processes to hire firms/consultants as needed to carry out key project tasks (e.g. research, communications), and manage the output of consultants and contractors
- Report on progress and monitor impact to our program funders
- Develop and monitor financial program reports
Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- Develop new and manage ongoing relationships with key stakeholders (incl. companies, investors, media and civil society, academia, and donors)
- Set up and facilitate stakeholder consultation processes around accountability tools and (action) research (incl. with the Expert Group, investors, food & beverage companies, the nutrition community, and a global stakeholder network)
- In close collaboration with Research and Communications, oversee and manage quality assurance of publications (research papers, website publications, long-reads, blogs, etc.) prior to their launch
- Together with Communications, monitor and guide our external communications agencies in the development and implementation of media outreach strategies for our Indexes and new monitoring tools, formulating outcomes and messages
- Together with ATNI’s Management Team, Research, and Communications, share Index results with stakeholders at company launch meetings, roundtable discussions, and conferences that you organize
- Together with Research and our Investors Team, participate in post-launch company meetings and institutional investor engagement meetings with companies
- Represent ATNI at external conferences, meetings, and workshops related to your programs
Supporting Research and Content Development
- Support the research and writing of public Index reports that detail the research findings and rankings by company. Where needed, lead on other written documentation for the Global Index, along with other country-level Indexes and projects, developing new monitoring tools and their public launch (blogs, executive summaries, context sections, etc.)
Organization-Wide Management and Acquisition
- Play a role in streamlining planning and coordination of planning between programs
- Contribute to overall ATNI reporting, financial reporting, and reporting on ATNI’s monitoring & evaluation (M&E) framework
- Contribute to/lead the writing of grant proposals to secure funding for ongoing ATNI operations
- Contribute to reports and background papers on ATNI and its activities for ATNI’s donors, board members, and Expert Group members
- Coach interns and more junior staff members
Your Qualifications and Skills
To thrive in this role, you’ll need the following skills:
- Over ten years of experience in managing complex multi-stakeholder programs with an international scope, preferably with a mix of public- and private-sector working experience, in addition to experience working in an international environment
- Outstanding track record of achievement and of delivering results at a high level, preferably in research, industry, an international organization, or a management consultancy environment
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and sustaining relationships and networks across diverse constituencies and cultures, preferably with experience in supporting or administering multi-stakeholder consultative processes
- Wide-ranging business development skills and proven commercial judgment
- Knowledge of, and experience with, nutrition and the food & beverage industry would be highly desirable
- Master’s degree (MBA, MPA, MPH, or similar)
- Highly developed program management skills, including financial project management and close attention to detail
- Exceptional writing skills (ability to write clearly, concisely, and quickly in fluent English is essential)
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Hands-on, positive approach to work
- Ability to produce professional presentations under tight deadlines
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strategic planning and analytical abilities
- Leadership skills to take forward new concepts, contribute to acquisition/fundraising, and overcome obstacles toward implementation
- Strong drive, determination, and motivation
- Willingness to travel globally up to 20% of the year
- Existing necessary permits and approvals to work in the EU
Perfect command of written and spoken English, French, or other UN languages are an added benefit.
What ATNI Offers You
- Our office is located in Utrecht, the Netherlands
- 32 or 40 working hours per week
- Work partly from home and partly from our Utrecht office
- A competitive salary and 25 days of vacation based on a full-time basis
- Travel expenses to and from our office
- Be a part of a fast-growing organization and a dynamic international team, offering inspiration and opportunities to develop yourself
- A chance to align your work with your values
Diversity and Inclusion
ATNI is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the organization's policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion are driving forces in the success of our organization.
Candidates must have the right to work in the EU before applying. Please note that ATNI is not able to sponsor work visas.
- Please submit your application as soon as possible. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- How to apply: Please send a letter of motivation and your CV (max. two pages), along with any writing samples to email@example.com.
- Interviews will be conducted virtually over Zoom or Microsoft Teams, as well as in person.