For the Challenge Fund for Youth Employment, VSO is looking for an innovative and ambitious senior advisor on Youth & Business, for 36 hours per week. Do you have a passion for advising private sector companies across Africa and the Middle-East on topics like youth-inclusive recruitment, decent work and constructively embedding youth voice in company practices? Then this role is for you.
Do you want to work on a fair world for everyone? A world where everyone has equal opportunities, regardless of origin, gender, religion or orientation? VSO is an international development organisation with offices in 23 countries. Together with local partners, we identify local development issues and solutions. Thanks to the commitment and knowledge of local and international volunteers, our programmes create lasting change in places where it is most needed. Last year, we reached 6 million people with our "Volunteering for Development" approach, supporting access to good healthcare, quality education and an adequate income.
About The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CFYE)
The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment aims to create employment opportunities for 200,000 young people, half of them women. This 5-year programme, initiated by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is implemented by Palladium, Randstad & VSO (www.fundforyouthemployment.nl). The Fund provides Co-funding and Technical Assistance (TA) to (consortia of) private sector companies in approximately 16 countries in Africa and the Middle-East so that they can create, match or improve jobs for youth.
As the senior advisor Youth & Business you advise the Fund on how the CFYE portfolio of approximately 100 private sector partners can go beyond just meeting minimum impact standards, but rather grow and enhance their focus on maximizing impact for and with young men and women.
CFYE’s work on Social Impact has recently gone through a re-strategizing process, and is now fully aligned to the ‘Youth Decent Work Journey’, in other words how companies attract, select and retain youth, and young women in particular. To put this Journey into action, a key priority is to develop and roll-out innovative Social Impact Technical Assistance solutions and tools.
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Conducting Social Impact (Self-)Assessments with the Private Sector
- Based on identified needs, ambitions and demand support roll-out of TA solutions or learning exchange packages at Company level, Country level or Fund level, in close collaboration with CFYE country teams.
- Organize learning and exchange events in line with needs and interest levels in the assessment.
- Oversee the provision of Technical Assistance by experts, national or international volunteers, as well as other experts, or provide direct delivery of Technical Assistance (based on the needs and your area of expertise). Manage the coherence in Social Impact tools developed and used by different experts.
- Closely manage progress of TA delivery against targets, highlighting roadblocks as soon as they arise and taking full personal ownership for high-quality timely delivery.
- Support the development of the Impact & Innovation toolbox to enable access to Impact tools by internal and external audiences.
- Support embedding of data analytics for any iterations of the Social Impact matrix and Impact & Innovation toolbox, in collaboration with the Data Analytics team.
- Represent CFYE at internal and external events, and share learnings, tools, innovations and insights from across the Youth Decent Work Journey of CFYE portfolio companies.
- Provide technical support and contributions to development of knowledge products on Social Impact, and present these to internal and external audiences.
- Design innovative ways of building capacity of the CFYE team on Social Impact, with a main focus on applying a youth and gender lens.
- Provide general advisory support to CFYE Social Impact team, as well as wider CFYE team.
You will work within the enthusiastic team of VSO Netherlands (25 colleagues) in Utrecht. You are part of the programme team on the Challenge Fund for Youth Employment within VSO and the wider CFYE team including colleagues of Palladium and Randstad. You will report to CFYE VSO Program Lead and the Social Impact Lead of CFYE, and will work closely with the Youth Champions Project Manager, as well as a pool of Social Impact experts (youth experts, gender experts, youth-centered design experts etc.) in up to 16 countries in Africa and the Middle-East. You work directly with colleagues in the countries of implementation, with VSO global thematic specialists, with volunteers and the implementing partners of the Fund.
- An innovative technical expert in the field of youth & business, which may include expertise on youth participation, social impact, social investment, social business, and social innovations. You believe in the business case for investing in youth. Experienced in working with the private sector.
- You are adaptive by nature and enjoy working in a complex program with a large, international and geographically dispersed team on an ambitious strategy. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment and are able to manage tight deadlines and last-minute requests and changes.
- You are that practical person, who can turn a strategy into action. You are positive, a fast learner, result-oriented, hands-on professional, who makes things happen on the ground together with your team members. Great communicator and relator strengths.
- You are used to remote working, and have a good sense of different remote collaboration tools. You know how to make remote work fun and focused.
- You are experienced in testing new, innovative solutions in a collaborative manner.
- Relevant prior education at academic level.
- At least 5-10 years of relevant work experience in the field of international development, with a focus on the field of youth & business, youth engagement and innovation in the field of social impact. Proven affinity with gender & social inclusion approaches.
- Experience with human centered design is an added advantage.
- Strong affinity with VSO's mission and vision.
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written). High proficiency in French or Arabic is a major added value
- Willing to travel to CFYE programme countries in Africa and MENA region.
- Excellent working conditions; Collective Labour Agreement for Social Work.
- Salary: depending on experience, scale 10, € 3,221 - € 4,830based on 36 hours. Starting with a one-year contract, with the prospect of a multi-year employment.
- A monthly accrued individual budget (IKB); made up of 18% of the gross salary.
- A personal training budget.
- Possibility to work (partly) from home.
- Good coffee and fresh fruit!
Are you enthusiastic about this role and do you meet our profile, do not hesitate and apply immediately! Mail your motivation and CV in English no later than 19 June 2022, stating: vacancy Senior advisor Youth & Business to Anita van Dijk: email@example.com.
If you would like to know more about this position, please contact Fiona Bailey, Program Lead: F.Bailey@vso.nl. The first round of interviews will take place on 23 June, the second round will be scheduled for 28 June. VSO is located in Het Nieuwe Kantoor (HNK), an inspiring and contemporary environment within walking distance of Utrecht CS.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.