Dabanga - Radio TV Online (Dabanga) is a dynamic and changing media organisation serving audiences across Sudan. Dabanga started out in 2008 as an exiled shortwave radio station broadcasting to the people of Darfur. Today, as an Arabic language media house with reporters and sources across Sudan and an office in the Netherlands, Dabanga aims to provide news and information to a diverse audience in the whole of Sudan through radio, satellite TV, website, WhatsApp and social media platforms. Specifically, to those Sudanese people who traditionally have not been served by other media because of their geographic location, cultural identity, social/economic situation, gender or age.
Originally supported by Free Press Unlimited, Dabanga became an independent Netherlands-based foundation in 2021. Free Press Unlimited continues to support Dabanga as it adapts and positions itself to support the democratic transition within Sudan. This includes areas of fundraising, grant management, finance and HR operations.
Dabanga through Free Press Unlimited is looking for an Executive / Team Assistant working primarily to the Editor in Chief (34-38 hours a week) starting in December 2022. The position is based in Dabanga’s office in Amsterdam.
The Assistant will provide administrative, organisational and logistic support primarily to the Editor in Chief, but also the broader Dabanga Teams in the Amsterdam office, as well as the Sudan-based team. The Assistant will take on a crucial role within a growing team working across two continents, becoming familiar with a range of operational processes, contributing to the daily functioning of Dabanga.
As a Team Assistant, here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Manage the agenda and email inbox of the Editor in Chief under his direction;
- Triage the general Dabanga info email inbox;
- Act as the main point of contact on administrative, logistic and organisational tasks among the Dabanga Editorial Team, Dabanga Operations Team, Sudan-based Team, and external service providers (IT, travel, etc);
- Ensure timely completion of time sheets by all staff, incl. tracking of holidays;
- Conduct basic financial administration such as checking cash claim forms, invoices and simple (event) budgets;
- Book travel, transportation, venues, food, supplies, etc for activities in the Netherlands and Sudan (in coordination with a travel agency for flights);
- Organise meetings, take notes (Arabic and English) and provide translation support;
- Procure items such as office supplies and technological equipment;
- Support monitoring and evaluation/reporting through ensuring all data is collected by relevant staff;
- Carry out other tasks as requested.
- A completed High school certificate;
- At least 1-year experience in a supporting position, preferably in an international environment and/or a media house;
- Excellent command of Arabic and English is a must. Good working knowledge of Dutch is an asset);
- Knowledge and experience in the area of administration, secretarial work, or organisational tasks;
- Excellent communication skills to avoid misunderstandings, verbally and in writing;
- High level of integrity, confidentiality and accountability;
- Values accuracy in own work;
- Proactive, practical and flexible attitude, is able to anticipate;
- Able to multitask and keep an overview of tight deadlines;
- Cultural sensitivity and strong interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word;
- A valid EU work permit is required.
What do we offer:
An administrative position in a dynamic, international environment based in Amsterdam. An appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding. Depending on experience the full time salary will be between € 2.052 and € 2.477 gross per month, 25 paid holiday days a year (on full-time basis), 9 flexible public holidays, 8% holiday allowance and a good pension plan.
How to apply
Are you reading this with eagerness? Then we’d love to meet you! Please apply by sending a short motivation letter and CV to Tamara Lunacek (HR officer) via this application form.
The vacancy is open until we have found a suitable candidate. We therefore ask you to apply as soon as possible! For questions about the position you can contact Nigel Ballard, Dabanga Managing Director at nigel[at]dabangasudan.org.
Dabanga – Radio TV Online is committed to ensuring gender equality, inclusion and diversity within our organisation. People of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, colours, religions, national origins, abilities and age are eligible for this position.
An assessment and screening can be part of the selection process.