We help to reduce vulnerabilities and strengthen resilience by responding to disasters and crises and by supporting community and institutional risk reduction and preparedness.
This is done in the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers, and internationally with the aid of specialists or by sending relief supplies or money.
Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion.
Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) seeks a Project Manager to provide technical and project management support for its response preparedness project in Central Africa Republic (CAR).
Position title: Project Management Delegate - Response Preparedness
Duty station: Bangui - CAR
Time period: 12 months with possibility of extension
Starting Date: April 2023
Status: Single posting/R&R
Netherlands Red Cross Response Preparedness Programme
The Response Preparedness program has been implemented in CAR from 2016 until 2021 (RP2), and will be implemented between end of 2022 to 2024 (RP3).
NLRC intended to renew this commitment to strengthening disaster response preparedness for the Central African Red Cross (CRCA). The program fills a critical gap between current community based resilience and risk reduction programs and international disaster response by focusing on strengthening national response capacity and linking it to regional and global capacity.
The third phase of the Response Preparedness Program (RP3), will consolidate the gains over the years of the CRCA implementing RP as well as cover the gaps in the core activities that lie at the heart of disaster preparedness of National Societies, but also aims to address capacities that strengthen and facilitate these. In addition, RP3 will be contributing to global Red Cross and Red Crescent tools and guidelines on response preparedness through the IFRC Secretariat and the RCCC.
Purpose of the position
The Response Preparedness Project Management Delegate is responsible for providing technical and programmatic support to CRCA in design, planning and monitoring of the NLRC supported RP3 project to ensure effective and efficient implementation as well as narrative and financial reporting. The Project Delegate will work in collaboration with the local RP3 project staff, the CRCA, the RCRC partners and authorities to assure high-quality interventions in response preparedness and disaster management.
Position in the organization
- The Project Delegate is based in Bangui and reports to the NLRC Country Representative in Bangui;
- (S)he may also be expected to travel in different regions where RP3 will be implemented if needed;
- The Project Delegate will have a direct working link (functional) with four national staff (Project manager, Finance, Logistics, PMEAL) fully dedicated to the RP3 project;
- For all project related obligations and information, (s)he has a functional link with the RP Program Manager and Desk colleagues (Partnership & Portfolio Coordinator, Portfolio Officer, Financial Controller, Project Administrator, Desk Assistant) and Technical advisors from the Headquarter.
Summary of responsibilities
Project Management & Implementation
- Work closely with the CRCA in order to strengthen its disaster preparedness and response management and improve its planning processes;
- Based on the CAR context, ensure the timely revision of RP3 Plan of Action and budget;
- Ensure that the goals, objectives and work plan are met in collaboration with the Country Representative, the Desk and relevant Advisors;
- Strengthen the CRCA Disaster Management unit by providing guidance on operational structure and member’s roles and responsibilities;
- Responsible for overall project management, in close collaboration with the country representative in CAR, and working with the technical advisors, PMEAL, finance, logistics and the Desk at HQ;
- Ensure effective working relationships with the project staff and provide appropriate mentorship, capacity building and technical support to the RP3 projet staff, CRCA staff, and local branches and volunteers;
- Provide support to all staff in ensuring that cross-cutting themes (e.g. PGI, CEA, etc.) are considered in interventions at all levels, especially in project design, work plans, and trainings;
- Monitor the project implementation with the support from the PMEAL/Technical advisors and ensure that the interventions under the project adhere to standards in a timely manner according to the established timeline;
- Assist the CRCA in producing regular, accurate and timely financial and narrative reports for the Netherlands Red Cross RP3 program manager and advisor and for donors through mentoring and training in project and financial management as well as reporting;
- Write reports following the donor’s rules and requirements.
Financial, logistic and administration Management
- He/she will be responsible for budget management (as NLRC budget-holder), adequate and timely quality narrative and financial reporting according to NLRC standards, and undertaking midterm and end of project evaluations: preparation of the procurement list, monitoring of expenditure, checking and validating of vouchers, coding vouchers, compilation of budgets and submitting financial reports, budget revisions and amendments and seeking formal approval from NLRC HQ;
Partnership, Coordination and Communication
- Support the cooperation of the CRCA with the local services, authorities, technical partners, as well as International organizations and other RC/RC Movement partners as described in the project proposal;
- Promote humanitarian principles and key cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender and inclusion, environmental awareness and disaster risk reduction;
- Represent NLRC in the relevant coordination mechanisms/clusters when applicable;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship and coordination with Regional Technical Services , relevant international and local NGOs/agencies and relevant linking with the other projects and initiatives in the region;
- Present and communicate in a regular basis and in all transparency, the results, difficulties, development, of the project to the hierarchy, the HQ and other partners.
- Master’s Degree in development studies, geography, political science, disaster management or equivalent;
- A minimum of five years of experience of working for a humanitarian aid organization in developing countries (preferably in Disaster Management programming), with practical experience and understanding of the relevant technical competencies required
- Experience working and living in another country than your domicile
- A minimum of five years of field experience internationally in managing disaster preparedness projects and operations in emergency settings
- Demonstrated experience in project/program management, design, (financial) reporting, monitoring and evaluation of multi-sectoral programs
- Strong knowledge of finance, logistic, administration and cost control procedures
- Extensive experience in team management
- Experience in dealing with and bringing together various stakeholders for the purpose of effective project implementation
- Proven experience in security management and context analysis
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken required
- (International) driving license
- Experience in and/or extensive knowledge on performing Emergency Needs Assessments, data collection and – analysis, IFRC evaluation tools, IFRC PER approach, CEA, simulations, contingency planning, logistics in emergencies and other core RP activities
- Computer literate (MS Office, spreadsheets, Outlook)
- Experience working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent is an advantage
- High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct;
- Able to work under security constrained situations;
- Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions;
- Self-motivated and proactive, with good judgment and initiative;
- Able to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Working in a multicultural environment; respectful and patient attitude;
- High motivation to work in challenging emergency context with attention for sustainability through capacity building on RP of CRCA.
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and coaching skills;
- Natural team-player, with demonstrated ability to train, inspire and support the team;
- Ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in different cultural and organizational settings;
- A full time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for 1 year, with the possibility of extension;
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international setting;
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Please submit your CV and motivation letter in English with reference to Shelly Jonker via the following link https://werkenbijhetrodekruis.inhroffice.com/nl/job/261943.
The vacancy will remain open for applications until the 5th of March 2023. The selection procedure will start as soon as applications are coming in.
For further information regarding the position please contact the Country Representative of CAR via email: email@example.com
Please note that an assessment and an integrity background check forms part of the selection process.
For more information about the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl and NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis.