Program officer (38 hours)
CARE Nederland is looking for an experienced Program Officer who can be a linchpin for our CASCADE consortium. You will ensure processes are in place to track progress, compliance and risk monitoring and will maintain productive relationships across international organizational teams.
Why CARE Nederland?
We are CARE Nederland, part of CARE, an international development organisation active in more than 100 countries worldwide. Originating from American food aid to Europe after the Second World War, we have been committed for 77 years to those who need it most.
CARE supports people in the most difficult places in the world in building a better life. We fight poverty by combating inequality. We do this by providing emergency aid, working on equal rights for women and making communities resilient to the effects of climate change and natural disasters by supporting them in building a sustainable livelihood. Our approach is characterised by customisation: in consultation with local partners and residents we determine what is needed and what works. After all, it is only together that we can achieve sustainable results.
CAtalyzing Strengthened policy aCtion for heAlthy Diets and resiliencE (CASCADE)
CASCADE is a consortium including CARE Netherlands, CARE USA, and the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) with the goal to improve food security and reduce malnutrition of at least 5 million women of reproductive age and children in Benin, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia and Mozambique. CASCADE does this through the lens of food systems with a focus on improving the implementation of nutrition-related policies by galvanizing government, businesses, and communities to increase access to and consumption of healthy diets and to increase households' resilience to economic and climate change-related shocks.
What will you be doing?
The Program Officer supports the overall operations of the CASCADE consortium, including ensuring appropriate systems and processes for grants and contract management, compliance, risk monitoring and management appropriate for a large, complex, multi-country program.
Project and grant management
- Lead the Consortium Operations Working Group bringing together grants management and finance counterparts from partners CARE USA and GAIN;
- Lead the annual planning, reporting, and review processes across the 6 countries together with the CNL Program Officer and GAIN Program Lead, including revising and/or drafting components of reports;
- Keep an overview of the status of implementation and key processes and deliverables for assigned countries. Collaborate closely with other PMU members and technical advisors across functional areas (e.g. MEAL, advocacy, finance, etc.);
- Support award start-up and close-out and the onboarding of country office staff to the global consortium;
- Together with the GAIN Program Lead and CNL Program Officer, keep closely informed of internal and external developments in each country and identify any significant change, opportunity, or risk that may require action or affect CASCADE’s plans;
- Facilitate relationships with key external and internal stakeholders with regards to CASCADE, including the country-based CASCADE staff and the Netherlands Embassies.
Compliance and risk management
- Ensure consistent country office and partner contracting and provide clear guidance and communication on donor requirements and compliance, working closely with the CARE NL Program Officer, Financial Controller, and Consortium Coordinator;
- Lead on developing systems and mechanisms for documentation and monitoring of key operations indicators within CNL and within the CASCADE consortium to support compliance and risk management;
- Support country teams in the operational aspects of adaptive management and problem-solving. Engage the appropriate technical advisors, PMU members, Consortium Coordinator, and/or CNL leadership team to support where required.
CARE NL linking and learning
- Keep the relevant CARE NL portfolio manager regularly informed and coordinate around any issues relevant to the country office relationship, such as significant developments within CASCADE or in key stakeholder relationships (such as the NL Embassy);
- Take part in Sustainable Development Team meetings and leverage CASCADE experience to support CARE NL learning and program development.
The Program Officer for CASCADE is managed by the Head of Sustainable Development and is a member of the SD Team. The PM works closely with the CASCADE Consortium Coordinator, receives support from another CARE NL Program Officer, and is a member of the CASCADE Program Management Unit. The CASCADE Program Management Unit is made up of the Technical Nutrition Lead, MEAL Coordinator, Advocacy & Communications Coordinator, GAIN Program Lead, CARE NL Program Officer, Financial Controller, and Technical Assistance Coordinator.
What do you bring to the table?
- At least 8 years’ experience, including past experience executing and managing large grants and contracts and managing risk, with substantial experience in African contexts;
- Past experience ensuring donor compliance of a consortium program of high complexity, preferably funded by Netherlands MFA;
- Experience developing guidance, tools, and templates for use internally and with the donor;
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities;
- Experience working closely with finance staff to ensure financial management, analysis, and administration;
- Experience working with multi-country teams remotely, and ability to cultivate a strong team dynamic across cultures, languages, time zones, and skill sets without a line management responsibility;
- Professional-level French writing and speaking skills are important in this role;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity with the Office 365 suite of tools, including Teams and SharePoint;
- Academic work and thinking level;
- Affinity or experience with policy work and nutrition / food systems transformation, or related themes (e.g. agriculture, resilience, food security, community health, etc.);
- Willingness to travel to program countries.
CARE maintains a zero tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse and takes all concerns and complaints about sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse involving CARE staff and related personnel seriously.
What does CARE Nederland offer?
- An interesting position where taking initiative is stimulated.
- A gross monthly salary based on BBRA scale 10 (EUR 3.215,12 – EUR 5.118,19), classification depends on relevant working experience.
- One-year contract with possible extension.
- International informal work environment in which you work with colleagues from different backgrounds to achieve the goals of CARE Nederland.
- Open work culture characterized by weekly joint coffee moments and regular staff meetings.
- Location in the bustling heart of The Hague.
Ready to apply?
Are you interested in this position and do you meet the profile sought? Please send your application using the button below. The deadline to respond to this vacancy is Thursday 30 November, 2023.
For more information, please contact Sarah Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- EU work permit is a requirement for this position.
- As long as the vacancy is still visible, responding remains possible.
Acquisition in response to this advertisement is not appreciated.