Vacancy for Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning expert at WASTE Foundation (0.8 FTE)
WASTE is an internationally operating NGO based in the Hague, specialized in urban and peri-urban sanitation, solid waste, and the sustainable financing of emerging markets in these sectors. WASTE has a solid base of more than 35 years of experience and has an extensive network in Asia and Africa. WASTE manages a multi-million-euro portfolio focusing on value chain improvements in sanitation and waste management—setting up systems that supports local governments, small and medium sized businesses, financial institutions, and community initiatives. WASTE is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) expert to support our FINILOOP programme and organizational MEL activities.
WASTE will implement a new programme in India called FINILOOP in the fourth quarter of 2022. FINILOOP has the aim to improve solid and plastic waste management in cities while improving the livelihood of the waste picker community. As part of the programme management, WASTE is engaging a MEL expert to support the programme Director in developing and implementing a comprehensive MEL strategy, evaluation framework, and ensure mapping of data within the results framework. The MEL expert will also work together with the communications manager on data-driven communication.
- Lead impact measurement and reporting: FINILOOP has defined a number of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and targets for measuring impact of the programme. The MEL expert is expected to lead the measurement and reporting of these KPI’s. This includes design/development of tools to guide data capture, reporting, and analysis of project activities.
- Develop implementation framework of field assessment activities including and not limited to baseline, mid-term evaluation, end of project evaluation, and other necessary assessments when needed.
- Assist in coordination and support of monitoring activities amongst the partner organizations.
- Visualization of data according to the needs of programme staff and partners in order to steer the programme based on evidence.
- Translate data into communication messages in collaboration with the Communication Manager
- Critically evaluating the underlying assumptions of the Theory of Constraints (ToC) with programme staff and partners based on the incoming data of the programme.
- Development of dataflow diagram for the programme including roles and responsibilities and timelines.
- Aligning M&E with donor requirements: accountability to the donor for which M&E is a means to create reliable information that demonstrates progress of the interventions against baseline values and targets both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Development of a learning agenda: initiating and coordinating (case) studies and learning that derives from these studies.
- Providing inputs in funding proposals and donor reports.
- Assist in organization and facilitation of quarterly, semi-annual and annual programme reviews.
- Actively participate in implementation of other programme activities when required.
Your knowledge, experience and competence
- Completed university education in the field of development studies, environmental science, social studies, business or development economics, or a similar field, preferably with a specialization in M&E.
- The candidate should have demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Developing and drafting of M&E assessment frameworks and strategies. In particular with determining and collecting (result) indicators.
- Experience in one or more of the following themes in a development cooperation context: solid and/or plastic waste management, climate change issues and sustainable use of resources, circular economy, social issues.
- Translation of (scientific) studies and data into concrete lessons for the implementation of programs, usage for clear communication messages and storytelling.
- Familiar with Kobo and/or PowerBI
- Fluent in English spoken and written. Any second language is considered as an asset.
- Position for 32 hours per week
- A challenging work environment that will help you grow
- Become a member of an international team
- Fair financial compensation and good secondary labour conditions including notebook, phone allowance and generous business travel allowance.
Salary indication between €47,000-€60,000 gross per annum on a full-time basis (36 hours per week), including holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus.
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Contract of employment for one year, with possibility of extension
Applicants must currently reside in the Netherlands and be in possession of a valid Dutch work permit. Candidate should be able to travel to office in the Hague regularly.
To apply, please submit a motivational letter (no more than 1 A4 page) and your CV (no more than 3 pages) to Sophie van den Berg, email@example.com, with reference to this vacancy. For further information on WASTE and the FINILOOP programme, please visit www.waste.nl.
The closing date for submission of applications is September 9, 2022. Interviews will be held shortly after. Due to the sheer number of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.