Plan International is a development and humanitarian organization that advances children's rights and equality for girls and young women in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Plan International does this by eliminating the disadvantaged position of girls and young women so that they have the same opportunities and rights as boys. In this way, with the support of thousands of sponsors, companies and (institutional) donors, Plan International is working towards a better future for vulnerable children and young people worldwide.
For our team that manages long-term development programmes (non-humanitarian), we are looking for a
Manager Programme Management Team (35 hours a week)
The Programme Management Team is the core of the International Programmes Unit at Plan International Netherlands. It’s the largest team consisting of 15 programme managers and thematic experts and plays a leading role in implementing our long-term development (non-humanitarian) programmes as well as advancing Plan’s thematic expertise. As the manager of this team, you will guide the team members in planning, managing and reporting on projects financed by institutional and corporate partners. You will monitor the thematic expertise in the team and align this with Plan’s strategic goals. In the framework of localization, you will promote and support the gradual transition of tasks and responsibilities to our colleagues and partners in the programme countries.
For this, you will work together with the colleagues in your team, and with managers and colleagues in other teams in Plan International Netherlands and in the global Plan International organization.
What will you do?
- Lead a team of program managers/thematic advisors, organizing the alignment of the qualitative and quantitative capacity, knowledge and expertise of the team with the goals of the department and the demands of the programs on the department;
- Coach staff and team in setting individual and shared goals, setting priorities, and directing for time management;
- Encourage effective collaboration within the team and between the team and other parts of Plan International Netherlands and Plan International;
- Safeguards the interests of Plan International Nederland in various forums, both internally (within Plan) and externally (donors, relations);
- Signaling external and internal developments that are relevant for the unit and translate those into new goals;
- Contributing pro-actively to strategy development and the realization of the organization’s strategic goals;
- Stimulate 'localization/shifting the power' within Plan International Netherlands and guide program managers in transferring tasks and responsibilities to colleagues and partners in the program countries.
- Ensures high-quality programs that are implemented on time and efficiently and that are in line with the strategy of Plan International Nederland and Plan International;
- Steer for an effective, efficient and timely spending of program funds and thus for the realization of the objectives of Plan International Netherlands;
- Maintain an overview - with a helicopter view - of the planning, management and reporting of programs and projects, and make adjustments where necessary;
- Collect management information and take care of timely reporting to the MT, including making improvement proposals based on these reports;
- Analyzing and adjusting work processes of the team. Contribute to the optimization of work processes and use of systems, including IATI;
- Matching staff resources with project budgets so that costs are recovered in an optimal way.
What to bring
Our ideal candidate is a natural leader who can guide, but also inspire senior professionals. You like to work in a structured way, but at the same time you have a flexible attitude and use unexpected situations to seize opportunities. You set high quality standard and are a sparring partner for the theme specialists, colleagues and managers/MT members. You are a go-getter, you embrace new plans and ambitions and you know how to inspire colleagues to work on these together.
In addition, you meet the following criteria:
- Academic working and thinking level;
- Minimum of 10 years work experience of which at least 5 years as a people manager;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Demonstrated experience in managing professionals, preferably in a project or matrix organization;
- Experience in quality management and improving work processes;
- Experience working in a complex and international environment;
- Knowledge about and experience with localization /shifting the power principles and processes;
- Minimum of 1 year working experience in an NGO in a program country;
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English languages;
- Knowledge and experience with partnerships between NGO, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other Dutch and international actors, for example in alliance form, is a plus.
For this vacancy, the following competencies are essential: Leadership, Gender sensitivity, Results-oriented, Collaboration, Quality-oriented
Please note that you can only apply for this vacancy if you have a valid work permit for the Netherlands.
A multifaceted position in an international work environment. Plan International offers its employees a solid benefits package, which includes, among other things:
- Gross monthly salary between € 3.813 and € 5.763 (salary scale 10) for 35 hours per week, depending on your background and experience.
- Full reimbursement of your travel expenses based on second class public transport.
- Ample opportunities for personal growth and education.
- 5 weeks vacation per year.
- Good pension scheme.
Plan International employees work about 50% of the time from home and 50% at the cosy office in the Pijp area of Amsterdam. At the end of this year we will move to a beautiful new office in the Baarsjes.
Are you interested?
You can respond up to and including 18 September with your CV and motivation via https://cvselectie.net/plan-international-nederland/7814/ If the link does not work you can copy it and paste it into your browser (Chrome). Because we work with this application system, unfortunately we cannot accept applications via email.
The first round of interviews will take place in the week of 19 September and the second round of interviews will be scheduled in the week of 26 September. The envisioned start date for this position is 1 November. For questions on this position, please contact Programme Director Geertje.Hollenberg@planinternational.nl.
At Plan International, diversity is important and everyone is welcome. We are committed to harnessing the power of diversity (whether it be cultural, gender, age, religion or sexual orientation) to achieve the best results. That is why we encourage everyone to apply.
The safety of children and young adults is essential to Plan International. Therefore, Plan International does not tolerate any form of abuse. This subject is addressed in the selection process. A recent Certificate of Conduct and reference checks in accordance with the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme is part of the procedure.
Acquisition? No thanks
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated, we do encourage sharing this in your own network.