About Adam Smith International
Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies more stable, and governments more effective. Our clients are governments, international organisations, companies, and foundations. For three decades in almost one hundred countries, they have come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that address the big challenges facing the world.
As a development consultancy, our work centres on international development management. Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of experts, who contribute their experience and knowledge, where and when it is needed. Our core service lines include education, infrastructure and climate change, inclusive markets, governance, justice, security and peacebuilding, public financial management and revenue reform, mining, oil and gas as well as cross cutting services, such as monitoring and evaluation.
As an employee-owned company that works in countries at all stages of development, we are a certified B-Corp with a triple bottom line of financial, social and environmental accountability. In 2021, B-Corp selected us as one of the Best for the World™ B-Corps for “Workers” and “Customers”. We have also set a strategic objective of becoming carbon neutral by 2025 and a net positive contributor to the environment by 2030. By sharing our knowledge and experience, we help to improve learning in our industry, as well as the positive impact we can have on people’s lives.
About Adam Smith Europe
The advertised roles will be embedded within Adam Smith International’s European subsidiary, Adam Smith Europe BV. We established Adam Smith Europe in the Netherlands at the end of 2017 to lead Adam Smith International’s work in the European Union (EU). Headquartered in Amsterdam, Adam Smith Europe focusses primarily on engaging with the European Commission (EC), expanding the EU programme portfolio through business development, and supporting the delivery of EU-funded development assistance programmes overseas.
Our work requires people with a ‘can do’ attitude tempered with insight and pragmatism. The successful candidates will not just be evaluated on their technical knowledge and skills, but also their alignment with our values and culture.
You should have demonstrated ability to think creatively about complex problems; perform tasks autonomously and at pace; build productive relationships with people from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds and work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments.
You should be energetic, positive, a team player and committed to achieving lasting positive change. It is this combination that ensures we deliver real societal impact and measurable results with high integrity.
About the role – Manager
Adam Smith Europe is looking for an experienced Manager to play a critical role in securing new business in the European market (i.e. funded by the EC, European Investment Bank (EIB) as well as donors from European Member States).
The Manager will support business development efforts through networking, positioning, and guiding geographic and expert teams to develop bids that can generate growth for Adam Smith Europe. The main responsibilities of the job holder will be in business development, technical and financial proposal preparation, project support and administrative management. The ideal candidate will come with experience in effectively bidding for and working on EU service contracts and proposals, and a solid record of successful income generation.
Based in Amsterdam, the Manager will be a member of the small but growing Adam Smith Europe team, coordinating with team members based in London and Paris, and collaborating closely with other colleagues from the Adam Smith International Group both in our Amsterdam office and remotely. You will report to the Director of Adam Smith Europe.
The overall goal of the Manager is to create, identify and pursue project opportunities funded by EU institutions by supporting our proposal development and project management activities, to help ensure the highest professional standards and to support the achievement of Adam Smith Europe’s business growth strategy.
Key tasks and responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Supporting the building and maintenance of a pipeline of EU opportunities;
- Coordinating collaborative business development initiatives, with relevant experts and geographical teams, to write technical and financial proposals;
- Identifying partnerships and maintaining professional relationships with key EU contractors;
- Identifying, recruiting and maintaining professional relationships with key consultants;
- EU compliance and administration management;
- Working with geographic teams to ensure EU projects are delivered well, and where appropriate serve as Backstopping Officer on EU contracts.
- Working on corporate projects, business services and knowledge management;
- Personal development and growth.
- At least two (2) years of business development and project management experience in the development sector, preferably:
- for projects funded by EU institutions (i.e. the EC; EIB); and/or
- in areas related to Adam Smith International’s service lines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in English is essential; working proficiency of Dutch, French and/or Spanish is an asset.
- High level of computer literacy (Microsoft Office) is essential.
- Experience in producing and communicating financial proposals and budgets is a strong asset.
- Experience in recruiting and managing experts, as well as key stakeholder management is an asset.
- Experience in administration management, conducting due diligence checks and adhering to complex compliance procedures.
- High level of analytical, technical and synthesis skills.
- Ability to foster productive team relationships, and work in a fast-paced, multi-national team environment.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, organise a large volume of work and information, and work under strict deadlines.
- Commitment to Adam Smith International’s ethos and core values as a B-Corp.
- Must be eligible to work in the EU.
About the role – Assistant Manager
Adam Smith Europe is looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of working in and growing our small Amsterdam office. Coordinating with EU team members based in London and Paris and working closely with other colleagues from the ASI Group in our Amsterdam office, you will build on the success of Adam Smith Europe and expand our Dutch registered business.
While there are many people involved in bidding for and delivering EU funded programmes, you will join a core EU Team who specialise in understanding the market, procurement rules and contract management. As an Assistant Manager, you will have the opportunity to perform different business development responsibilities to create, identify and pursue project opportunities funded by EU institutions. This role is designed to both challenge and support you and give you the knowledge and skills to kick-start your career in international development. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with, support and learn from more experienced Managers across different teams and discover which areas of the business best align with your skillset and interest.
After successfully completing 12 months with the company, and depending on your performance, you will have the opportunity to progress into a Manager position.
In addition to a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits, we offer you a friendly and supportive team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. As a certified B Corp, we care about the wellbeing and growth of our people and are committed to supporting your personal development and actively facilitating opportunities to build skills and knowledge in your areas of interest.
Key tasks and responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Contribute to business development providing support on recruitment, market mapping, written inputs to bids, manage stakeholder communications with bids and bid analysis.
- Contribute to the growth and development of Adam Smith Europe through, compliance, marketing, knowledge management and personal development.
- Support to the management of the successful delivery of projects to terms of reference, time, quality, cost and donor and Government satisfaction. This will include assistance in the following areas of project management: finance, operations, team, quality assurance, risks & issues, evaluations and client relationships.
- Develop skills in technical advisory areas identified with line manager and agree approach to developing the same further. Where feasible, support delivery of technical deliverables.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject.
- Outstanding English and Dutch communication skills, both written and oral. French desirable.
- Understanding of the international development sector, knowledge of EU institutions and international development priorities.
- Some understanding of the company’s technical services and some political, social and cultural understanding of the countries and regions we work in.
- Ability to work autonomously once assigned specific tasks.
- Ability to research and put together information needed for proposals.
- Ability to build productive working relationships with internal and external colleagues.
- Ability to manage workload, and provide clear and concise reporting into line manager.
- French language skills
- Experience in writing proposals, project management, and/or in the development of consultancy sector.
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject
- Familiarity with some of our client processes and procedures i.e. EU, EIB, EU Member States bilateral development donors, FCDO, World Bank, AfDB, etc.
- Familiarity with one or more of the company’s technical services and/or one or more of the regions we work in
- Good numerical ability with a focus on financial awareness and ability
- Ability to work well in teams, and under pressure
- Ability to write clear, concise, comprehensive and persuasive proposals
What we offer you
We recognise the importance of your life outside of work. We are proud to support flexible working arrangements and commit to make a success of flexible working arrangements wherever possible. Our office is located on Keizersgracht where we come together at least once a week. We have built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do. We offer you a friendly and supportive team environment and the opportunity to work on a successful portfolio of programmes.
As a certified B-Corp, we care about the wellbeing and growth of our people and are committed to supporting your personal development and actively facilitating opportunities to build skills and knowledge in your areas of interest and progress your career.
How to apply
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter that describes how you meet the candidate specifications to email@example.com, with the subject headline “Application for Manager or Assistant Manager– Adam Smith Europe”. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline for applications will be 24th November 2022
Adam Smith International is committed to continually improving the diversity of our workforce through the attraction, retention, and development of a diverse range of talented people. We want people to be comfortable bringing their whole self to work and recognise that inclusion brings further opportunities for innovation and creativity.