Across the globe, journalists and media pioneers have taken it on themselves to supply their communities with objective information. Free Press Unlimited actively supports these professionals in over forty countries, by offering them, among other things, trainings and temporary financial and material aid, and by strengthening their professional capacity. So that as many people as possible gain and keep access to vital information. For many people around the world, access to reliable information is by no means a given. Nevertheless, impartial information is of crucial importance to all of us if we wish to survive and develop as human beings.
About the internship
You will contribute to supporting the gender equity and inclusion work of Free Press Unlimited. You will gain hands-on experience in conducting gender research in at least one project of Free Press Unlimited with multiple international media partners. This desk research will outline existing strategies in media environments that have focused on improving gender equality in the workplace and gender-sensitive programming.
You will assist the Programme Coordinator Gender & Media with the desk research of best practices that lead to more equitable media. In addition, the successful candidate will assist with developing and documenting practices and approaches to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) at FPU. Different tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Desk research;
- Supporting adaptation of the current gender equity documents of Free Press Unlimited in line with the organisation’s strategy and priorities;
- Coordinating and communicating with relevant partners abroad as part of the gender research activities;
- Supporting different stages of report writing and drafting;
- Learning project management work;
- Updating and expanding Gender and DEI documentation of FPU.
What we ask from you
- Student at an intermediate/higher vocational education with a keen interest in gender, diversity and inclusion in the media;
- You love collecting and translating data into practical documents that are clear and accessible to all;
- A hands-on mentality and ability to work independently;
- Flexible working style, self-motivated and willing to learn;
- Good oral and written communication skills, good command of English. Knowledge of additional language is a plus;
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Free Press Unlimited;
- Interest in media, freedom of speech and freedom of press.
- The opportunity to contribute to a special mission, in a dynamic and international environment;
- Support in the development of your learning plan;
- An internship in a dynamic international environment;
- A four to six months agreement, internship compensation of Euro 400,00 (fulltime), and reimbursement of travel costs (public transport up to a maximum when you live outside of Amsterdam);
- A working space in our nice office in the centre of Amsterdam.
Are you inspired by this internship and the tasks? Then please send your resume and a short letter of motivation in English (PDF format) before 31 March 2023 to Larissa Buschmann (she/her), Programme Coordinator Gender & Media, via this application form.
For the letter of motivation, please address the following in maximum 1 page:
- Which element of Free Press Unlimited’s mission most interests you, and why?
- What specific skills/experiences do you bring to the tasks of this internship, and which do you want to learn?
Free Press Unlimited is an organisation that knows the importance of diversity, and creating a working environment where everyone feels welcome and appreciated. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better organisation - one that makes better decisions, drives innovation, and delivers better results. That is why we encourage everyone to apply.
A screening can be part of the selection process.