Internship on Climate Governance
Do you want to fight for equality? Tackling inequality at its roots, together with colleagues, our partner organizations and activists in more than 90 countries? To change the systems behind it, once and for all!
Oxfam Novib stands behind the people who stand up for equality. Together, we fight for a world where everyone has equal opportunities, regardless of gender, ethnicity or skin color. A world where everyone feels safe; where income gaps are shrinking instead of growing, where climate change is tackled in a firmer and more honest way.
Equality is the common thread throughout our activities and projects, but also internally. We are aware that our team of colleagues can be even more diverse and that having a diverse team is the only way to see the world from a broad perspective. To obtain a multi-voiced team, we are therefore calling in particular on women, members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities, or people with disabilities to apply for this internship.
Apply and become part of Oxfam Novib!
Internship on Climate Governance
The Oxfam Novib Climate Justice team works in collaboration with Oxfam country offices, partners and allies on topics including climate justice movement building, climate campaigning, climate finance, just energy transition, and gender and climate, among others. We are recruiting for an intern to support our team developing a programme to support the emergence of climate policy processes which are more inclusive of civil society and communities in the countries where we work. The intern will work both with Climate Justice team colleagues as well as with other colleagues from other units, other country offices and beyond.
- Support the team in monitoring/researching UN and national developments on the process of revision of Nationally Determined Contributions in the run up to the 2nd Global Stocktake;
- Support the team in working on its learning agenda around inclusive climate governance, potentially include an internal learning session inside Oxfam International, and potentially events with civil society partners, as well as assisting with gathering and formatting relevant communications material for our website and internal sharing with Oxfam country teams;
- Support in preparing meetings (offline and online);
- Participate in, and support, other team activities where appropriate, especially within the “worldwide influencing network” team.
- Participate in internal, and where relevant, external, meetings on topics related to climate governance, and climate movements.
Who are we looking for?
- Currently a Masters’ degree student in a relevant study (knowledge of some aspects of climate policy and/or governance a plus).
- Good command of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Power Point, Excel and Word). Experience with online meeting software, such as Zoom, Teams, Miro a plus
- Experience with analyzing qualitative data.
- Have excellent written & spoken English skills. French, Arabic or Spanish is a plus.
- Strong cultural sensitivity and gender awareness; excellent communication skills.
- A good understanding of organizational communication processes.
- Highly motivated, result-oriented and are a team player
- Willing to learn and share your knowledge with others
Applicants to the internships at Oxfam Novib must meet the following requirements:
- Be an active student of 18 years of age minimum;
- Be enrolled at a Dutch educational institution (first level university degree, higher schools (HBO) or other), the internship is part of the study programme;
- Have less than 3 years of relevant full-time work experience;
- Have legal right to live and work in The Netherlands or be prepared to obtain the right to follow an internship as part of their study in the Dutch educational institution, by signing a three-party internship agreement.
- Any staff member who has previously been in employment with Oxfam Novib shall not be hired as an intern.
An intern in Oxfam Novib is offered an internship contract for the duration of the internship and a monthly allowance based on €450,- per month on a basis of a 36-hour work week, pro-rata in case of less hours.
The intern is expected to have a student OV card; however, if not applicable, a reimbursement of commuting costs will be offered.
Oxfam Novib works on hybrid basis – partly from office, partly from home.
During the internship, the intern is supervised, overarching by the Marita Hutjes, manager of the Climate Justice team, and daily/weekly by Duncan Pruett. The period of this internship takes place between January 2024 until June 2024 (approximately a period of 5 months).
Working at Oxfam Novib
All our work is guided by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality.
At Oxfam Novib, we work according to the Feminist Principles - Oxfam Policy & Practice.
Oxfam Novib is based on the power of difference. That is why we aim to attract a diverse mix of talented people who share our standards, values, and principles, and who are committed to prevent and eliminate any type of misconduct.
We have an active policy against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any form of abuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. This subject will be covered in our application and selection process.
Do you believe that this is the internship you are looking for? Then we would love to receive your application! Please note that only applications received before the closing date 26 November 2023 and submitted via our application portal will be taken into consideration.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Duncan Pruett, Senior Strategist and WIN advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org