At the Red Cross, we help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regard to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
You will be part of the Finance team dedicated to International Assistance. The team supports the international projects that are carried out in our 12 strategic partner countries where all our work is done together with the local Red Cross / Red Crescent organizations. In addition major programs are run, and specialist business units are supported. Our goal is always to strengthen the local organization and bridge the gap between finance and business, both at our HQ in The Hague as well as by being present locally in the field. Within our finance team we have an opening for an
(32 - 40 hours per week, based in The Hague NL, international travel)
What will you do:
You are responsible for a portfolio that includes a mix of countries, technical units and programs. Overall your goal is to provide key information for decision making, whilst setting the boundaries in which we operate financially.
In your countries you assess capabilities and risk. You determine control measures. You are responsible for the country’s financial procedures and performance. In addition you look at how locally we can improve, grow and get more independent. At the same time you ensure our projects are assisted, in workable processes but also in financial steering information. You travel to your countries as needed and bridge the gap between HQ and field. How do you manage risk and reporting in the aftermath of a natural disaster?
At HQ you ensure we are compliant. You check project and program proposals, budgets, grant conditions, reports and guide project audits. In addition you ensure desks and units are provided with timely financial information to make decisions. How do you balance compliance with a fast paced environment with many stakeholders?
Your combined portfolio allows you to understand all parts of the business we are in.
What you bring to the table:
- Keen to travel: Travel is predominantly to countries listed as Red by NL MoFa. Travel can be frequent (up to around 8 times per year) and may also be for longer periods (up to 8 weeks at a time). This will depend on country needs and is subject to change.
- Education: schooled or experienced in managing a (project) administration.
- Experience: at least 3 years of working experience. This position is in a culturally diverse and international context. It includes grants and formal audits. Our projects are in humanitarian aid for vulnerable people. We do not expect you to bring all that to the table. We do expect you to understand what this means and feel sure this is for you.
- Finance: Budgeting, monitoring and reporting experience is a must. Bookkeeping knowledge at a basic level is required.
- Language: Professional level English is a must. French is a distinct advantage. The majority of our organization operates in Dutch. You will need to be able to read Dutch at an acceptable level.
- Planning and tracking. You take the lead and ensure others are aware and aligned.
- You deliver before being asked.
- The job is broad. This requires continued oversight and prioritizing. You see overarching processes and systems and can link different activities.
- You adapt to what is needed. At the same time you are very clear on what the red line is.
- A flexible and people-oriented working environment with room for initiative and development.
- An employment contract for the duration of one year, with the possibility of extension, for 32-40 hours per week.
- Salary is in accordance with salary scale 11 of the Collective Labor Agreement of the Red Cross, depending on education and experience (min. € 3,600 and max. € 4,696 gross per month for full-time employment).
- Our office is located in The Hague, within walking distance of Laan van NOI station. We work according to activity-based working, just like your other colleagues you work partly from home or at the office and you get a telephone and laptop at your disposal.
How to apply:
- Please submit your CV and motivation letter, addressed to Willemijn van den Heuvel (HR Advisor) using https://werkenbijhetrodekruis.inhroffice.com/nl/job/269067/apply
- For further information regarding the position please contact Jord Ottolander (Finance Manager International Assistance), email@example.com, 06-12781182.
The procedure starts as soon as candidates apply. The application procedure consists of two rounds of interviews and an terms of employment interview.
We believe it is important to guarantee the reliability, professionalism and integrity of our organization and (future) employees. Screening for integrity – as well as online assessment and a reference check – are part of this application process.
The Red Cross is looking for employees with talent and excellent competences for a position and is not guided by cultural background, physical limitations, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or age.
For more information about the Red Cross, see our website www.rodekruis.nl. The NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis en Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.