The Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) works to promote peaceful, just and inclusive democracy worldwide. To that end, and together with our global network, we work with the entire political sector in a country, from aspiring politicians to political leaders, and from the national to the local level. We promote dialogue, we strengthen the capacities of political actors, and we train young and established leaders in our Democracy Schools. Currently, we run programmes in around twenty countries in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, and the MENA region.
NIMD’s Global Office is located in the political heart of the Netherlands in The Hague. Here an experienced and committed international staff of around 30 colleagues provides support to our global programming. Our working culture is informal and open, and encourages initiative, professionalism and interaction. We strive to be the leading democracy network of political practitioners working to promote inclusive and accountable politics.
The office in The Hague comprises four teams: Programmes & Knowledge; Grants Management; Finance, Control & Support; and Positioning. Due to an internal change, we are currently looking to strengthen our Grants Management Team with a:
Finance & Contracting Specialist
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Finance & Contracting Specialist is responsible for ensuring NIMD fulfils its financial accountability requirements towards donors, and overseeing spending of these funds by NIMD’s local partners or country offices. The specific tasks include:
- Supporting the Grants Coordination team from a financial perspective
- Overseeing the finance and control cycle of the country programmes in relation to the grant.
- Identifying financial risks and bottlenecks within programmes, and intervening as soon as any risks are no longer manageable, in close collaboration with the Financial Controller.
- Preparing and controlling the budgets, financial reports and audits for the country programmes in a specific region, in collaboration with country offices and partner organizations.
- Preparing fundraising budgets and finance proposals in collaboration with the Fundraising Officer, Programme & Knowledge Advisor, partner organizations, country offices, co-applicants and the Fundraising & Strategic Relations Advisor.
- Preparing contracts and conducting financial transfers in consultation with the Financial Controller and Grant Coordinators
- Translating donor requirements to other parties and ensuring financial reporting towards donors.
- Delivering financial contract agreements and financial information to the Grants Coordinators.
- Contributing to the internal financial policies of the NIMD country offices and the implementation of these policies – along with instruments, procedures and processes -together with the Financial Controller.
- Ensuring that the financial administration of the country offices complies with NIMD’s internal financial policies.
- Integrating the latest information, rules and demands of donors in the budgets.
You are a dynamic and experienced financial professional with an understanding of development issues and the financial needs of key stakeholders, such as bilateral and multilateral donors, democracy assistance organizations and NGOs. You feel comfortable working with people from different cultures and have concrete experience with project management and financial administration in an international context.
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- A minimum of three years of experience in financial administration and financial project management in an international context.
- Experience with setting up financial administration processes and financial reporting to donors.
- Experience with projects and programmes funded by EU and Dutch MFA.
- Experience in the field of financial control.
- Experience in the field of fundraising and managing donor funds.
- Experience in the development and implementation of financial policies.
- Fluent in English, and preferably Spanish.
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, intercultural communication and teamwork skills.
- Affinity with politics and political parties.
- Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of financial management, business administration, or accounting.
- Willing to travel to different countries for assignments.
Applicants must have a valid work permit for the European Union.
We offer a position for 32-38 hours at our office in The Hague, initially for one year, with the intention to renew. You will work in the Grant Management Team under the guidance of the Head of Programmes & Knowledge and in close collaboration with the colleagues from the Finance, Control & Support team.
NIMD offers a competitive remuneration package, including a laptop and mobile phone. The salary level corresponds to the Dutch Government salary framework (CAO RIJK) for scale 10 (EUR € 3,045,– EUR 4,848,- gross per month depending on experience and based on 38 hours per week). In addition, NIMD offers a flexible and fun work environment with good secondary benefits, including an individual training budget.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications, in the form of a motivation letter and a résumé in English, to email@example.com by Sunday 26 March 2023. Interviews are scheduled in the week of 27 March 2023.
All applicants must already have a valid work permit for the European Union.
For additional information, please contact Harrie Dijkstra, Head of Finance, Conrtrol & Support, via firstname.lastname@example.org or Antoine Brasset, Senior Grants Coordinator via email@example.com
Only replies by individual candidates for this job will be considered.