Do you often read the news about emergency situations and wish you could do something to help? Good news, because you can use your data skills to remotely help people all over the world in emergency settings! All while working in a young & international environment, in which you get to learn more about humanitarian aid and connect with Red Cross societies all over the world. If you get excited while reading this, then the Netherlands Red Cross is waiting for you!
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for multiple humans with a big drive to help the Red Cross all over the world in emergency situations. Specifically, it’s necessary to be flexible: you would be asked to jump into action remotely at any moment and to deliver when you commit to doing something. The people we are looking for should be proficient in English and enjoy working in an international and interdisciplinary team. It’s necessary to have experience in making maps and/or making dashboards and/or collecting data and/or secondary data analysis (quantitative data analysis).
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
In the beginning (learning phase) you will be added to a WhatsApp or Telegram group with other Netherlands Red Cross emergency response volunteers. Whenever help is needed in an emergency the emergency response coordinators of the Netherlands Red Cross will send a message in the WhatsApp or Telegram group to request your help. You can then pick up assignments to help.
Once you have gotten the hang of things, you will be added to a Slack workspace with Red Cross staff & volunteers of Red Cross societies from all over the world. Whenever a new emergency response is launched, assignments to support will be posted in this workspace and you can pick them up yourself.
The assignments will entail creating products that make data easily interpretable for the people running the Red Cross emergency response operations on site. You may be asked to:
- Make a map using QGIS or ArcGIS and/or
- Make an (interactive) dashboard using PowerBI and/or
- Create a data collection form using Kobo or ODK and/or
- Do a secondary data analysis on collected data.
- The nature of the work is ad-hoc: you are willing to be notified on your mobile phone when a new emergency response is launched and commit to help in at least 2 emergency responses per year. The average length of an emergency response is approximately 4 weeks.
- During an emergency response, you are available for at least 4 hours a week to work on tasks.
- You can commit to help for at least 1 year.
- You have a professional attitude and a sense of ownership for your work.
- You are fluent in English. If you are also fluent in Spanish, French, Arabic that is a nice bonus.
- You have one or more of the following technical skills:
- experience in making maps in QGIS and/or ArcGIS.
- experience in making (interactive) dashboards in PowerBI.
- knowledge of data analysis and understand how to make a form to collect data in a way that the data is easy to interpret & analyse.
- experience in or open attitude to learn how to do secondary data analysis of already collected data.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Possibility to learn more about technology-driven projects in the world of humanitarian aid.
- Possibility to expand your network by being in contact with other Red Cross or Red Crescent members around the world.
- Possibility to grow your skills and follow trainings and workshops.
- Possibility to learn about Red Cross emergency response operations and gather enough experience to be deployed to the field.
- The work in this position is on a voluntary basis.
- You need your own laptop to work from.
- We work in a hybrid form: you can work remotely and whenever you want, you are very welcome to work together with the team at the Netherlands Red Cross headquarters during office hours. The office is based in the Hague, Laan van NOI. Your travel costs will be reimbursed.
- You are a resident in the Netherlands and allowed to work as a volunteer.
We value diverse backgrounds and experiences. We need people from all backgrounds to help build the future of data & digital in the humanitarian sector. We encourage you to apply, regardless of cultural background, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status and religious affiliation. All of our team member’s points of view are key to our success!
HOW TO APPLY
Did you read the ad and are you excited to join us? Then please upload your CV (max 2 pages) and a clear overview of which technical skills you have via the apply button: https://werkenbijhetrodekruis.inhroffice.com/nl/job/259893/apply
For additional information you can contact our volunteer coordinator Corina Markodimitraki (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Important dates to keep in mind:
- Apply before the 15th of January 2023.
- Kickoff meeting on Saturday, the 28th of January 2023. Your presence during the kick-off meeting is mandatory to start volunteering. The meeting will be in hybrid form (online and on location in the Hague). During the meeting, we will introduce you to the team, the way of working and you will meet the other emergency support volunteers.
- Training period in the first 2-3 weeks of February. Your presence during subsequent trainings is mandatory to start volunteering. Trainings will take place in the evenings on working days and in the weekends. Exact dates to be announced closer to the date of the kickoff meeting.