Disaster Response Coordinator
The Disaster Response Unit is responsible for all Netherlands Red Cross international support for victims of disasters and conflicts and for vulnerable people exposed to hazards. To strengthen the Disaster Response Unit, we are looking for a:
Disaster Response Coordinator
The Hague, 32-40 hours p/w
The objective of the unit is to provide efficient and relevant assistance to victims of natural disasters or conflicts. In this particular role you will ensure an adequate preparation and coordination of response activities within the framework of the International Red Cross Red Crescent movement. An important part of the role is to liaise with IFRC, ICRC and red cross and red crescent sister organisations, assessing needs and resources needed to address these needs and coordinating the appropriate contribution to emergency appeals and other disaster response operations.
What are your core tasks going to be
- Contribute to effective disaster response of the Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) where efficiency, added value, quality and timeliness of the response are a priority
- Monitoring of global contexts and disaster relief needs and activation of relevant disaster response processes, supporting the partnership desks of NLRC, and facilitating the interventions in close collaboration with colleagues of other units and divisions
- Coordinating and monitoring efficient and effective use of NLRC contributions in multilateral operations (financial resources, experts and goods) to disasters around the world
- Liaise as sparring partner to different (external) stakeholders and platforms on the different crises and the role and activities of the (Netherlands) Red Cross herein
- Fund management: administration, reporting and donor accountability of assigned financial funds
- Provide contextual input for fundraising campaigns executed by NLRC for specific disasters/crises. You act as the focal point for a specific campaign and the internal relationship management with the departments Communication, Marketing & Fundraising
- Manage and coordinate together with the Belgian RC and Luxembourg RC the deployments of Benelux Emergency Response Unit
- Responsible for development and maintenance of the associated NLRC Surge HR capacity and emergency response unit trainings
What you bring
- A graduate degree in International Relations, Humanitarian Action or related field
- A minimum of 8-10 years of operational experience in international disaster response, of which 3-5 years of field experience, in different contexts
- Extensive knowledge of disaster response and related key international humanitarian themes
- Experience and affinity with HR processes regarding the deployment of delegates to disaster response context is an advantage
- Experience with the International Red Cross/Red Crescent is an asset
- Knowledgeable on project-based approach and related elements, e.g. context analyses, financial management, planning, monitoring & evaluation, reporting, etc. and understanding of connecting disaster response to phases of preparedness, recovery and prevention/mitigation
- Excellent communicative skills (including writing) and able to transfer knowledge and expertise
- Creative thinker, able to translate recurring key issues within the humanitarian sector into a practical approach for Disaster Response settings involving Red Cross partners
- Proven skills in ICT and interactive working
- Excellent command of Dutch and English, working ability in French or Spanish is an asset
Note that a work and residence permit are required as the position is based in The Hague, the Netherlands. We do look for the willingness to travel regularly and to be deployed for mission (up to 4 weeks) in Disaster Response context.
We value diversity — in backgrounds and experiences. We need people from all cultural backgrounds, religions, gender identities, sexual orientations and age groups to fulfil our mission. All of our team member’s points of view are key to our success.
- You are a flexible, adaptive and communicative team player, able to work within a small, dynamic team
- Practical, result-oriented and decisive
- An independent worker, taking initiative in setting clear goals and developing and managing your own portfolio
- You are thoughtful and efficient, and you respect commitments, deadline. You are capable of performing under high pressure
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and are able to enter and maintain effective partnerships and work-relationships in different cultural and organizational environments
What we offer
- A full-time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for one year, with the possibility of extension An interesting job with a unique organization.
- The opportunity to work with a unique organisation in the sector, with an immense international network and a significant impact.
- A flexible and social working environment with room for initiative and personal development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at 12 as mentioned in the collective agreement, depending on experience, this is min. € 4.122,37 to max. € 5.414,87 gross per month for a full-time employment.
Our office is in the Hague, walking distance from the Laan van NOI station. Based on our re-work concept you work activity based, partly from home and partly from the office. We regularly meet colleagues on the workfloor but also online via Teams to discuss cross functional issues and to stay connected to each other and our networks.
How do you apply
Please send your application letter and English CV to Shelly Jonker before 6 December 2023 through the following link: https://werkenbijhetrodekruis.inhroffice.com/en/job/296173.
For more information about the position, please contact Carla Jonkers: email@example.com
lease note that an integrity background check and an assessment forms part of the selection process.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl and NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
NLRC does not accept third party mediation or acquisition for this vacancy