Data & Information Manager
In this role you will play a crucial role in our organization’s effort to support the Netherlands Red Cross by using data analytics to improve the decision making. This position has a specific focus on the domestic department. You will work towards speeding up and increasing the quality and effectiveness of the humanitarian operations. As a member of the 510 team you will work on various projects, collaborating with national and district-level teams, and supporting the integration of data and information management into our workflows.
Data & Information Manager (32-40 hours/week)
Location: the Hague
The 510 team improves humanitarian action by developing data and digital solutions for our partners. 510 is part of the International Assistance division in the Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC). Since its founding in 2016, 510 has grown into a team of 60 core and project staff, students and volunteer experts which are divided into three sub-teams; data team, digital team and operational team. Our partners are Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies (NS), the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). Our services include Digital Transformation and Information Management, major products focusing on Cash Aid, Anticipatory Action and Digital Community Engagement.
As Data & IM, you will be part of the 510 data team, which makes you one of the 15 data analysts, data & information managers, and data specialists in the data team. You will work closely with the domestic department of the Netherlands Red Cross, most specifically the Head of IT and the information Managers, as well as colleagues and volunteers from 510. This position requires on-site work in the Hague office and the possibility of irregular deployments in surge missions as IM for bigger emergencies dependent on capacity, availability and skills needed (training for Surge IM Roster starts after 10 months).
We value diversity — in backgrounds and experiences. We need people from all backgrounds to help build the future of data & digital in the humanitarian sector. We encourage you to apply, regardless of racial background, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status and religious affiliation. All of our team members’ points of view are key to our success!
What will your core tasks be?
Within 3 months;
- Gain a deep understanding of information needs of decision-makers at the national, district and branch levels.
- Explore the availability and identify potential gaps to meet decision makers needs
- Familiarize yourself with Human Centered Design process and translate these into dashboard creation and implementation
- Support NLRC in establishing a robust data management system
- Create Operational information products, including maps, dashboards, infographics to visualize data.
- Assist partners in effectively utilizing the data products, maps and visualization provided in their decision making by end-users.
- Document best practices and contribute to (data) product development
- Collaborate with information managers from network partners to exchange critical data for NLRC decisions.
- Create a value case for these decision makers to show them what can be done and what value this could bring
- Produce technical documentation and explanatory materials to facilitate the adoption of data products.
- Familiarize with the NLRC data & im structures, systems.
Within 6 months;
- Focus on improving the translation of operational problems to data solutions for NLRC departments
- Making sure products remain to be trusted and used
- Develop a value case to demonstrate the potential impact of data products.
- Set priorities and break down support tasks into milestones within the 510 planning system.
- Identify and onboard volunteers, students and staff needed to support NLRC operations.
- Evaluate the quality of product deliverables
- Support national society with adding new data into the data warehouse
- Translate the value case into actionable data collection, data pipelines, analysis and data products
- Iterate through the data products with the end-users, with support of the 510 design team
Within 12 months;
- Foster collaboration between international and domestic 510 work by sharing best practices.
- Provide on the job coaching and support of people in working with data within different Netherlands Red Cross departments
- Integrate data products into the IV & ICT workflows
- Lead training sessions and develop training materials for Netherlands Red Cross staff and volunteers.
- Contribute to the development of the NLRC Data & IM strategy.
- Picking up international projects 40% of your time, integration and cross-pollination of data between departments.
What do you bring?
- Experience with information management, data analysis and data modelling
- Ability to understand end-user needs and translate them into actionable tasks and outcomes.
- Strong problem-solving skills and practical mindset
- Hands-on mentality with a desire to make a meaningful impact in humanitarian aid.
- in-depth expertise in Data Science, or data management including (Index-Match, Pivot Tables, PowerQueries, SQL)
- In depth experience in any of the following subject matters: PowerBI, GIS, Data Science and data management
- Proficiency in Python programming for data extraction, processing, and visualization.
- Experience with Data visualisation/ dashboarding in PowerBI or other.
- Able to quickly understanding information management systems of the domestic department
- Experience in training groups and individuals
- Strong interpersonal and advising skills, both in-person and remotely.
- Able to work affectively in a remote working environment and proven experience with very clear written and spoken communication
- Proven ability to work effectively in a remote environment with clear written and spoken communication.
- Excellent command of Dutch and English (written and verbally).
- Living in the Netherlands.
- Experience in working within the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Proficiency in technical documentation such as Github
- Familiarity with Opendatakit (ODK), Power Automate, Rest APIs, and Mass Messaging tools.
- Good understanding of relational databased and entity-models
- Proficiency in GIS software (e.g., QGIS) and SQL databases.
- Working proficiency in French and Arabic.
- Proficiency in the Azure cloud, and specifically the azure data factory, azure ML, functions and web apps, storage accounts.
- Skilled in using Microsoft Power Automate for automating business processes
- Analysing and judging
What we offer
An interesting job with a unique organization. The organization has an immense international network and a significant impact in the humanitarian sector. The work you do has a significant impact in society, but also on yourself. We have a flexible and human centred work environment with space for initiative. We offer a balanced package of conditions that helps you to keep an eye on your wellbeing and your personal development and offers options to find a good work/life balance.
We offer a contract for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on budget and performance.
The salary scale level is set at 10 as mentioned in the collective agreement, (depending on experience, minimum of € 3546,30 and a maximum of € 4434,06 gross per month on the basis of full-time employment).
Next to your monthly salary you will have a 'personal budget’ at your disposal, of 18,9% of your monthly gross salary. You can use it to withdraw a holiday allowance, extra holidays or an end of year bonus.
Our office is in the Hague, walking distance from the Laan van NOI station. Based on our re-work concept you work activity based, partly from home and partly from the office. We regularly meet colleagues on the work floor but also online via Teams to discuss cross functional topics and to stay connected to each other and our networks.
How do you apply?
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to HR Advisor Shelly Jonker before 29 February 2024 through the following link: https://werkenbijhetrodekruis.inhroffice.com/nl/job/304509. For more information about the position, you can contact Marijke Panis at firstname.lastname@example.org, the coordinator of the data team.
Please note that an integrity background check and an assessment forms part of the selection process.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl and NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
NLRC does not accept third party mediation or acquisition for this vacancy